Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

cvt and paddle shifters?

1770 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  gdfvbdf
my 2016 croostrek has about 95,000 km on it. when i first got it, i played with the paddle shifters, but that got boring, and the idea of wearing out the cvt to save my brakes really didn't appeal to me. lately, i've used the downshift a few times on steep, not very long hills, just to keep my speed under control. but at my last service, the mechanic noticed a small transmission fluid leak. (just a few drops from somewhere that he couldn't locate easily.)

so... is it likely that my occasional downshifting has caused a transmission leak? is this a common problem?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I seriously doubt it.
soon others will tell us if it's a common problem
just a few drops from somewhere that he couldn't locate easily
I would not worry about it. Till i see a puddle of oil on the driveway.

Had a dealers mechanic tell us the oil pump was leaking. Needed replaced. Car just past the warranty. Low miles.
I see no signs of oil dripping on the driveway. At 186,000 miles, when traded, still had the original oil pump.
Reactions: 2
I worked on a different OEMs CVTs for a bit. It's unlikely that the use of CVT paddle shifters would be linked to a fluid leak. Subaru doesn't seem to have much of a problem with CVT belt slip. If it did, this is where the use of the paddle shifters would likely show up.
Reactions: 1
the verdict on the leak is that it’s a failing seal on the transmission. the recommended fix is to flush the cvt, and at the same time redo the seal.
so... is it likely that my occasional downshifting has caused a transmission leak? is this a common problem?
i still don’t know, but it’s easy enough for me to do without lots of downshifting, now that the novelty has worn off. the replies so far haven’t indicated that it’s a common problem.
my 2016 croostrek has about 95,000 km on it. when i first got it, i played with the paddle shifters, but that got boring, and the idea of wearing out the cvt to save my brakes really didn't appeal to me. lately, i've used the downshift a few times on steep, not very long hills, just to keep my speed under control. but at my last service, the mechanic noticed a small transmission fluid leak. (just a few drops from somewhere that he couldn't locate easily.)

I don't think it's common, so let's pay more attention.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts