Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With almost 1000 miles on the clock, I decided to play with the paddle shifters today for about 15 minutes... using them to upshift and downshift etc...

WOW!!! What a difference in power that can be felt when you hold the RPM's out with WOT and shift! Getting on the freeway was the easiest way to get to shift at a good high RPM and WOT.

Coming off the freeway, decided downshift to slow 'er down.... I'm diggin it! Doing this I don't really miss having a manual anymore!!! DEFINITELY not the clutch.. lol!!!

If you haven't played with the shift paddles yet... GET OUT THERE and have a little fun and do some of the work the CVT takes away from you in Drive Mode.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Xtrekr,
Nice post. I have been dying to try this. but.. maybe once I get 1K miles on mine, I'll go for it. I'm too afraid of breaking something right now. I imagine once I try it, I will love it too because I do NOT miss driving a manual nor that stupid clutch! LOL

·
Registered
500 Posts
Using your paddle shifters to downshift is good for the engine during the break in period. Helps vary RPMs and engine brakes/seats seals. So have at it, just keep the RPMs below 4k

·
Registered
168 Posts
You'll also notice that even if you don't need to use them just the act of locking in a gear makes the car feel completely different. I had a friend in the car and when I slapped the stick over he noticed it almost instantly and said to me "What'd you just do? Put the car in super duper sport mode or something?" Everything really tightens up and throttle response is WAY better. The only downside I've found is the mpg hit you take.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly! Throttle response is quick and snappy. I like the feel of the cvt in manual at higher Rpms , then shifting.... Much more solid feel to it and kinda 'sits you back' ever so slightly. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I agree, a lot of fun. I didn't really play with mine until a few weeks ago because when I test drove the car I tried them and didn't really like it. However, now that I know how the CVT reacts and how to drive it better, the paddle shifters are a blast.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pop-Pop said:
I'm playing with engine breaking right now during break in but will play with upshifting after break in.
Even use the paddles to vary your RPMs when driving (up-shifting) as well... with 6 gears, you have room to play well below the 4000rpm break-in limit. It gives the XV a different feel for power.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lol I like the manual transmission and the clutch but that's only because I can do tricks with it I'm not a big fan of the paddle shifters but I love how you can down shift in drive mode

·
Registered
159 Posts
Totally agreed that the paddle shifters are a blast! Really makes the Crosstrek feel peppier and more responsive, and can be a major help during challenging driving situations. Nearly essential for off-pavement driving, but also makes a huge difference when passing, merging, and so on.

My advice to anyone who's new to the Crosstrek: resolve to spend a few days using only manual mode and the paddle shifters. You'll get to know your car better, appreciate it more, and if you like to drive you'll also have all kinds of fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, after reading your comments I am totally driving home today in nothing but manual paddle shifting mode!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow my drive home was more fun. The paddle shifters make me wanna hit the redline! I only have 400 miles on the XV so far so, I'll be gentle. I didnt realize the potential of the engine, having babied it for the past week since I bought it. I am much more happier with the power now. Cant wait until my XV is fully broken in so I can wind it out a little. 8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, what is the "break in" mileage ??
I'm probably way past that, but not sure...It's somewhere in the manual I suppose.
But shifting is a blast, and the CVT will not allow you to slog the engine in too high a gear when going slow, and will not let you stall out when starting from a stop. You'll never feel a lurch and stall, or hear the snickers that usually follow. ...been there...etc...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm enjoying 'paddling' as well. I just wish the paddles didn't turn with the wheel; it makes it kind of tough to downshift in a turn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
U_ba_ru said:
So, what is the "break in" mileage ??
I'm probably way past that, but not sure...It's somewhere in the manual I suppose.
But shifting is a blast, and the CVT will not allow you to slog the engine in too high a gear when going slow, and will not let you stall out when starting from a stop. You'll never feel a lurch and stall, or hear the snickers that usually follow. ...been there...etc...
Break in mileage for this vehicle is the first 1000 miles on the brand new engine. It's listed in the owners manual
During this period they suggest you to stay below 4k rpm, don't stay at a constant speed for extended periods of time, etc

·
Registered
271 Posts
Break in millage is 5000km in Australia
Once you've done over 5000km all Hell breaks loose
The XV turns into a very adile and quick car And as much fun to drive as my old XT turbo FOZ
I never feel under powdered at all now
Hill WHAT hill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scoobyxv-l said:
Break in millage is 5000km in Australia
Once you've done over 5000km all Hell breaks loose
The XV turns into a very adile and quick car And as much fun to drive as my old XT turbo FOZ
I never feel under powdered at all now
Hill WHAT hill
Wow! that's over 3100 miles. Why the big difference in Australia opposed to the U.S.?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another thing to try is
Switching off traction control
This will give u more acceleration at take off
( remember traction auto enables itself every start up )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts