Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first time I checked my fluids I realized that you can't check the CVT fluid! This is so weird to me. Is this a normal thing for CVTs? Is there any worry that the fluid will be low or anything I should look for to ensure my tranny fluid is good to go?

·
Registered
927 Posts
If its not leaking... Nowhere for it to go, right? I would think there is a check hole somewhere... Like a plug style

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
To answer your questions almost all new trannys in most cars nowadays that are automatic and sealed transmissions I do believe there is a fill plug possible and drain plug but no promises

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Straight from the North American owner's manual

It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. Check that there are no
cracks, damage or leakage. However, the
fluid inspection should be performed
according to the maintenance schedule
in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Consult your SUBARU dealer for
details.

That's disappointing that you can't check the fluid level. I hope that the next-generation Lineartronic CVT's have a dipstick so owners can be sure of the condition of their vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another thing is you will not be able to properly change transmission fluid yourself. The following was a response I got from a Subaru tech ......

Got a reply from Blaktrax a member on NAISOC who's also a Subaru Technician. I had asked him if the CVT is repairable or replaceable and whether he thought adding an oil cooler for towing was a good idea. Here's his response ...

"As of right now I know if there is a failure, Subaru wants the trans back for inspection as a whole unit. Any after market modifications to the system have to be noted if there is a failure.

Only the XV, Legacy and Outback CVT are rating for towing. The Impreza is not rated for towing of any kind on the CVT.

Oil Level and Type are critical, the fluid is not anything you can yet buy aftermarket. The fluid level is to be adjusted using the scantool to monitor internal fluid temp, to set the level correctly.

My recommendation If you need to tow any where near the maximum, get a '12-'13 forester with the D4EAT before the CVT comes in the '14 model. Or get a 5-speed manual.

My personal feelings, a trans cooler will likely cause a failure than prevent one on a CVT. Be it due to fluid contamination, incorrect level, or flow. At this point there aren't enough high mileage vehicles to tell what truly works and what doesn't. But there will always be the exception".

While he may be taking a safe stance on towing modifications, the part about having to monitor temp readings while filling the transmission has been mentioned in other threads, so it may be better for CVT's to be serviced at the dealer, unless you know what you are doing and have the correct tools. Gone are the days of flush and fill, repeat, to replace transmission fluid in an automatic or using the machine method of flushing the transmissions. Hopefully if people are smart and do their calculations right regarding trailer and weights they'll be OK. Also consider that other markets with identical models have slightly higher tow capacities. Chalk it up to North American concerns over liability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts