Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's a cool shot....looks like you've been to the dangerous part and returned victorious! I always turn off VDC when I'm off road and the going gets sloppy. My understanding of system is that its designed to cut power in order to gain control. I could be wrong about this though....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RubySu said:
My understanding of system is that its designed to cut power in order to gain control. I could be wrong about this though....
You're probably correct, and the thought crossed my mind after the first time it engaged. By the second time, I was already well back up the cliff and not too concerned anymore. I actually don't do any off-roading other than this particular stretch of road because it leads to a summer property we own. There is a 25-acre off-road park 20 miles north of me for small 4WD/AWD vehicles (they say no large trucks or SUVs) complete with water obstacles (and "drive-arounds" for questionable obstacles)...once I learn a little more about how my XV handles, it might be a fun time. Supposedly they have trails which would not require me to have any special protection under my vehicle, but still offer a good time.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That park sounds like a good time-with opportunity to be a little more adventurous if you'd like. I have some property in NC that was actually a development that went under back in 08. The roads are all gravel, steep and curvy. There's only one home on the entire 100+ acre mountain. Two, once my cabin is done. In the meantime, RALLY COURSE! Anyway, I find that the VDC works quite hard at keeping me on line....much less with it off but still rears its ugly head now and then. I don't think it's totally defeatable .

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Great pic! From my experience/understanding, VDC is better when you're cruising around and need the car to stay in a straight line -- i.e. in the snow, heavy rain, sandy roads, etc. But if the going gets tough and you're crawling up trails and what not, it's better to have off so you won't lost power.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Picture should be complimented by a voice actor that matches the XV laughing at the sign as it easily conquers the "dangerous road". :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Definitely a cool pic... calendar worthy!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts