Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a previous 10-year owner of a Corolla, I've been in the habit of going to Firestone Auto Center for all my maintenance and repairs.

Is there any clear advantage of going to the Subaru Dealership for all maintenance and repairs vs. going to a "big" store?
The hard part about the dealership in my area is that they only operate M-F from 8-5, which is very inconvenient.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Check with your dealership regarding warranties/maintenance.

For example, my dealer offers a lifetime power train warranty where if something goes wrong, they'll fix it and I'll pay only $100. This warranty is only good if I take the vehicle to them* [on time] for the regular maintenance.

I'll leave other advantages to other posters, as I'm not sure there are many, assuming your regular guys are familiar with Subarus and use the correct fluids; I understand the 0w20 and coolant are hard to get one's hands on except through a Subaru dealer. I could be wrong and/or it could be easier for other shops as compared to the every-day shopper.

*A couple logical exceptions apply (eg: if I'm half way across the country at the required service time, it's acceptable to take it to another Subaru dealer and keep my documentation for the service as proof).

·
Registered
243 Posts
The dealerships are usually more expensive and the service writers get paid solely on what you buy. That said, they are generally more likely to honor their work. There are, however, exceptions. If you can find a good mechanic, stick with him.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I would highly recommend the use of a Subaru-spec oil filter. By this, I mean an oil filter with a bypass valve specification of around 20PSI.

Something like a Purolator. However, most aftermarket auto part stores don't quite have FB-series oil filters available.

So I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the use of the current black Subaru OEM oil filter made by Tokyo Roki, it's considered to be one of the best OEM oil filters on the market.

As for motor oil, as long as the service shop uses the proper grade and viscosity of synthetic oil, you should be good.

In summary, use dealership for now, and then when proper oil filters are available for the FB-series engines, you can continue to use the service center you've been going to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had some bad interactions with Firestone personally and have found that their mechanics are not as capable as they claim they to be so I would definitely recommend the dealer over them especially while your car is still under warranty.

Otherwise I would ask around and see what your friends and family recommend in your area for local mechanics and see if they work on Subarus, this isn't really necessary for oil changes, but bigger things I suppose. I kinda have a bias against the chain car repair places due how impersonal they can be and they seem like they are only in it for the money...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
In my experience with places like EZ Lube and the like, they seem to be hit or miss. Sometimes I have my car taken care of just fine and other times they manage to screw the simplest things up. I plan on taking my Crosstrek to the dealer for most of the routine stuff, though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As mentioned previously the oil filter for these cars is very unique. When doing fluid changes be sure to use the OEM filters as there is currently no aftermarket available that meets the factory specifications. Using a filter with the wrong release pressure can potentially lead to oil pressure issues, oiling issues, and oil volume/aeration issues.
Remember, with any new car, more work done by your local dealer means easy access to your maintenance records for any warranty claims etc.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'll try to remember to ask the crazies (AKA service writers!) over in the service wing tomorrow at work!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sounds like they're probably in the $78 range which is spendy but that's with OEM filter and synthetic oil.

·
Registered
714 Posts
No, It's not bad at all. Also keep in mind that includes a good dealer inspection of the whole car and a wash!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Which is awesome! I used to detail and now I hate washing cars haha

·
Registered
714 Posts
Washing cars is EVIL! I used to wash very nice cars, Lamborghini and Ferrari and what not. It was very cool, but burnt out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the Subaru Maintanence plan for my XV so I'm covered for all services through 60k (60k) being my last service. All my other cars I went to a drive thru oil changer and it was always good. Once in a while when I needed an alignment I would take it to Wheel Works.

I love that Subaru will have my service records in file which makes the carfax clean for the service section (in case I end up selling the car in the future).

But personally, I think the dealership is the way to go as long as you can afford it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always go to the dealership for my maintenance. Have done so with my last three cars and will continue to do so with the XV.

Years ago, when I was strapped for cash more, I tried some of the chain service stations but was never pleased with the service. I'm pretty critical when it comes to maintenance, as I believe it contributes in a big way to a trouble free car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm getting my new XV next week, but I always have my trusty 2005 Forester serviced by my dealer, Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru. As a VIP customer, oil changes are about $20 and I love the fact that they inspect the car to check for any problems. The local oil change shop can't do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts