Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first Subaru is a 2015 Outback and didn’t have this engine on off feature. Then I just bought a 2021 Crosstrek Sports 2 days ago and now getting annoyed with this engine shutting down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning to purchase a 2021 CrossTrek with the 2.5L engine, but it appears that this will have Auto Stop Start technology in both the Sport and Limited models, so I have been researching ways to disable this function. I was looking for a simple and reversible way to accomplish this goal (i.e. without the need to solder wiring), when I happened upon a third-party accessory--Autostop Eliminator, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek Autostop Eliminator.

The reverse auto braking feature is required, but they claim it is only because of the location required for the device. I do wonder if there is more to it than that. There are no reviews for Subaru but reviews for this device on vehicles from other manufacturers are overwhelmingly positive.

Does anyone have experience with this company?
Is there something I am overlooking if I choose to use this device? risks?
I just installed an Autostop Eliminator in my 2021 Crosstrek Limited and it seems to be working. It remembers the ON/OFF mode that I set even when I turn off the car. The orange or white symbol appears on the instruments to show the current mode. It was easy to install under the driver's seat (a little tight under there for my big hands but it can be done) Apparently the device only works on the Limited because it plugs into the Reverse Automatic Braking module under the seat. I don't think any other models have RAB. The device cost $90 with an online coupon. The Auto Stop Start was very rough and annoying on my car and I had to disable it each time I started the car. I hope this helps you decide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 18 Limited, and thinking of getting the 21 model with the 2.5 liter engine. If you cannot disable the start / stop feature, I won't get one. Because of the engine is fuel efficient, it shouldn't have start / stop feature. I know you can always temporary disable the feature every time you start the vehicle but who wants to do that? There should be an option to completely disable it.
I just bought one and wouldn't have if I knew this thing couldn't be disabled permanently. It is so freaking annoying

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to 2020, literally 95% of cars have this.
Welcome to 2020, literally 95% of cars have this.
I don't mind it as long as there is a way to disable it permanently (not with a button every single time you start the car). I wonder if the other car makers offer a "permanent disable" option for this very annoying feature. I leased my car but if I would have bought it instead, I would be taking it back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting! I just bought the 2021 Sport model and I'm getting used to the auto stop/start. What I've noticed is that the engine doesn't shut off unless I press the brake all the way down so if I've been anticipating a short light, I typically just lightly hold the brake.

But the button is right next to the steering wheel and pretty similar. To each their own.
I just got my 2021 limited last week and I noticed today that if you don't hold the brake all the way down it doesn't shut off... So I will do this if I forget to push the off button and save $100 by not buying the auto on off elimator.

·
Registered
2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport
4 Posts
It has become second nature to push the disable button or to put the gear shift in neutral. My other car is a manual, so I am used to reaching for the gear shift when coming to a full stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a used 2019 Premium 4 days ago that was a former lease and it doesn't shut down. I haven't changed anything. And I'm coming out of a 2011 Honda Accord so I'm not used to the technology. But today I'm going to get a ride in a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has this feature so I'll have an opportunity to see if it's possible that it's so passive, I don't notice.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
19 Posts
I'm not going to "own a car" to find out what I like or not. I've driven rentals with this feature and my son's car many times. I don't like it or want it on a vehicle I OWN. And I'm not willing to "disable" it every time I start the car.
Be ready to be very limited now. Probably more so in the future. Just push the button on the dash and get over it.
YMMV

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have gotten used to it and now play a game of how much fuel can I save between fill ups.

I do wonder if this will kill the starter prematurely.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts