Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fairly easy install... the most intimidating part is centerpunching and drilling your BRAND NEW car ( Right, Larry? )

Follow your directions!!! I am posting this to possibly give others the insight and confidence to do some projects themselves.

Take off the interior plastic from inside the hatch... pull the center out from one edge and work your way across.. then the side pieces.

Lay out your template....

Cut out your template with care... take your time.

Don't forget these cut lines... they allow your template to lay flat over the raised hinge areas.

Align your template at the center and tape it in place top to bottom evenly

Check one side and tape it down...

Now check the other side and make sure your spacing is even side to side and top to bottom... If adjustments are needed... do it.... then complete the taping.

Once you are completely happy with where your template is... grab your automatic centerpunch... Take a deep breath and punch the four spots for the drilling.

Drill your holes in stages as the directions state.

I noticed this edge with a curved lip... hmmm

I then installed the spoiler and noticed how the curved lip hugs the hatch....

With the lip hugging the hatch...correctly.... here is the side profile...

The other side....

And the finished product....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nice write up! Doesn't look to terrible overall. But you're right, drilling holes in your brand new car takes guts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Outstanding write up! One thing that freaked me out was dropping a nut on the far right side. Lots of vulgarity. Then I realized the rubber wire cover popped right out beneath it and all was right in the world. Besides that one "you have got to be kidding me" moment, a pretty straight forward install. What do you have planned next?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LarryA said:
Outstanding write up! One thing that freaked me out was dropping a nut on the far right side. Lots of vulgarity. Then I realized the rubber wire cover popped right out beneath it and all was right in the world. Besides that one "you have got to be kidding me" moment, a pretty straight forward install. What do you have planned next?

LOL!!! Oh I could have thought up some new words if I did that.... luckily I lowered the hatch a bit to relieve the angle for the install.

Phillip.....I think the dealership will charge an arm and a leg for the install... this was like under an hour and took my time.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for all these DIY threads, they definitely give me ideas to think about for the future.

The spoiler looks like it is a inch or two below the level of the roof rails? My only concern would be if it would interfere with something mounted on an aftermarket rack, but it doesn't look like it should be an issue beyond affecting the opening of the hatch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Xtrekr said:
LarryA said:

LOL!!! Oh I could have thought up some new words if I did that.... luckily I lowered the hatch a bit to relieve the angle for the install.

Phillip.....I think the dealership will charge an arm and a leg for the install... this was like under an hour and took my time.
"luckily I lowered the hatch a bit to relieve the angle for the install." ...I wish i thought of that, simple but genius. That should be made a note to do during the install.

The install at the dealership could be pricey, but i'm not sure what the hourly rates are. If it takes the dealer more than an hour, they're no good. If you have zero tools needed, it may be cheaper to install at the dealership. The most expensive tool would be the drill, other than that all you need are: Scissors, tape, prying tool/ flat head screwdriver, a hole punch, 3mm 6mm 9mm and 12mm drill bits, and a 10mm socket wrench with extender, OH and the spoiler with the template and nuts, you'll need those too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A better option (than the dealer) might be to call around to some small body shops / indy mechanics and see what they'd charge. My guess is half to a third what the dealerships would charge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Xtrekr for the info and all the pics of your install! ;D

Some of us don’t have the access or can find the metrics drill bits required to install the spoiler so I have looked around and below are the equivalent or closest to the required metric bits required for the spoiler installation:
3mm = The closest would be 1/8
5mm = The closest would be 13/64
9mm = The closest would be 23/64
12mm = The closest would be 15/32 or 31/64 that is little bigger than 12mm

The spoiler will install with the 9mm holes or a smaller bit, but for a good fit and to have room to adjust it follow the instructions by Xtrekr!!

Below are some of my spoiler pics!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem!! and great idea to post up the standard conversion of metric sizes.... good call.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Xtrekr awesome write up! Thanks for the pics javyher I have the same color and the spoiler looks great. I will have my spoiler in the next day or so as well as the color matched body side molding. I can't wait to install mine. A buddy of mine is going to give me a hand. He does body work and painting. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I followed this writeup and just installed my spoiler.
BUT, I dropped a bloody nut on the left side and cant get it out.
ARGHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts