Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This literally took me 30-45 minutes to install.

Unpack your box and separate driver and passenger side... you will have 4 pieces, instructions and 8 clips.... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS UNTIL YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THEM.

Start with a front door

Lower all your window half way and pull your front door seal out from the middle and out to the edges as shown.

Take a clip to the door and orient it to the door so you can see how it will clip on. Do this BEFORE you install it on the deflector. Install the window Clips 90 degrees from edge... make sure you put them on right, you will NEVER get them off without breaking the deflector... spring steel clip over plastic post.

Pull back the adhesive covers... each small sides and both edges of the top and crease them over 90 degrees as shown

Place the deflector just below the lip of the door while holding in in place to the rear edge of the door and pull out slightly on the clips to catch the lip of the window frame. Move forward and do the front clip... DO NOT PUSH DOWN THE TAPE YET

Ensure you deflector is aligned with the back edge of the front door as well

Ensure your clips are fully seated on the window frame

Pull the small end tapes out on the rear of the door, align it with the rear and top edge of door and press it firmly in place. MOVE TO THE FRONT of the door and do the same with the small front edge. Now, slightly pulling out on the center top of the deflector, ease the top tape out from behind the deflector and work from either edge applying pressure after you slightly adjust it to the top of the door frame.

Follow same procedure for rear door....

Now once you clip the rear door deflector, and pull the small front tape, align it to the front edge of the rear door with the front door shut... this will ensure you have good alignment between the doors.

Check your alignment between the front and rear doors, pull the rest of the rear tape and apply pressure aligning to the top of the frame as you go.

Tuck your seals back into the window frames and move to the other side.....following the same procedure. Once you are done, step back and marvel at your beautiful, new Side Window Deflectors!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just keeps getting better!!

Though something tells me, you make it look and sound much easier than it is. ;-)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! Actually it's not that hard at all.... just a bit time consuming considering all the steps, alignment checks etc....

·
Registered
820 Posts
Every upgrade on your Trek looks both well placed and thought out. What's really cool is the Deflectors match the "chunkiness" of the body cladding which then extends forward towards your hood protector. Also, now I know I'm tinting my front windows. Very nice indeed. 8)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Larry... I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice. Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Installing these tonight!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No sweat... Just remember to get your orientation on clips right BEFORE you press them onto the deflectors. If you have to ... Walk over to the door frame and look at how they clip on... It will be a big help

·
Registered
243 Posts
Xtrekr said:
No sweat... Just remember to get your orientation on clips right BEFORE you press them onto the deflectors. If you have to ... Walk over to the door frame and look at how they clip on... It will be a big help

It's done. Thanks for the guide - I probably wouldn't have attempted it otherwise. I took my time and aligned everything up in a few dry runs and think I got the fit nearly perfect. It took me about an hour just because I was being very cautious. Once the first side is done though the other goes really fast. Now, I could do it again in about 10 minutes.

Oh, and the official Subaru instructions made this look like I was building a freaking Space Shuttle. They really know how to complicate something.

New tweeters installed on my lunch break and deflectors after work. That's a pretty productive mod day.

Pics to come - after it stops raining here.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Crappy cell phone pic for now.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for the pic! This is something I've been thinking about, and was wondering what it looked like on a tangerine xv.

·
Registered
243 Posts
AlexAlejan said:
Thanks for the pic! This is something I've been thinking about, and was wondering what it looked like on a tangerine xv.
The pic doesn't do it justice. I really like it. It looks...meaner.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Another View (still crappy cell phone pic though)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for the extra pic! I'll probably be placing these on my "to buy" list soon.

Meanwhile, my wife wants to redo our bathroom...its going to be battle in the coming months!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I like how on the Crosstrek the window deflectors almost connect between the front and rear windows. I was next to a Dodge Magnum today with deflectors and there was a huge gap between the front and rear and I did not like the look; it didn't look fluid.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree... the gap is very small and makes for a better flow and appearance. Love them!! And it gives a meaner look to the XV...

·
Registered
243 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I like how on the Crosstrek the window deflectors almost connect between the front and rear windows. I was next to a Dodge Magnum today with deflectors and there was a huge gap between the front and rear and I did not like the look; it didn't look fluid.
That's why I chose them over the WeatherTechs or another brand. There is a little gap there but they still flow together so well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I finally decided that the Weathertech Deflectors weren't for us, so we went with the Subaru OEM Deflectors, much nicer and they follow the body lines. They truly finish off the look of our XV.

I only found one additional thing useful for me. I added two pieces of painters tape to the body where the clips were to line up. This simply gave me a landmark reference marking while I was attempting to snap the clips to the inside window upper rail. It is also helpful to figure out just how much of the upper window seal that you need to remove.

I was nervous at first about removing the inside window molding, but rolling it from the inside out seemed to help. DON'T over remove the molding or it will take you longer than normal to get the side molding back in.

Dan

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts