Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my XV for a couple months now, but I've been babying it for far too long.

So this morning, I was at a stop and looking to turn right. I miscalculated the speed of an oncoming car and at this point I was already committed, so I had to turn. I floored the gas and draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, was I in a time lapse? I mean I could produce faster torque with my own two legs. Of-course I received a good honking and a cold stare, which I deserved. I tested this out a few more times during stops and it all ended up in the same result, is this just part of the CVT?

It's not like I'm looking to drift in front of cars, but hey I'll admit every once in awhile (like today), I screw up, and usually I can get bail myself out by that quick boost in acceleration. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I just need to learn how to drive my damn car, hahah! If that's the case, this post is rather embarrassing, but hey it's my first CVT and this morning was the first time that I had really pushed my car, if you can even call it that.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The car isn't fast, let's all face it. However, I seem to be able to get relatively good acceleration out of the CVT. The trick, I seem to have found, is not to floor it, but rather ease into the gas. There is a "sweet spot" that seems to produce the best acceleration for me without flooring it.

It took me a bit to learn how the CVT best responds, but once I got it down I have been pleased with what I can get it to do. I have had a WRX and Infiniti G35 before so I have definitely felt much quicker acceleration, but I am happy with the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, interesting. I'll try that. Generally, my natural instinct is to floor the gas in situations like that. I'll try that out later today.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have to agree... rolling on the pedal instead of mashing it took a bit to get usdd to...but works really well

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have to ditto with what Admin and XTrekr said... Its as if there are actual "kick in" levels in there. Once you find that sweet spot, it's rather zippy! I tend to have a light foot, but like you.. there are times when I need to get on it a bit to get in to major highway traffic. She's done well for me so far. :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have the CVT, and to echo what has been said here, I find that the pickup is greater if you press the gas down in a slower, constant way instead of flooring it. Maybe take 2-3 seconds to the floor. Im not going to win any sprints with my crosstrek, but I find it responds just fine to merges, highway passing, obstacles, etc.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
chris said:
Also, if you need to do something like that I'd suggest turning off the AC because I have noticed that the XV is a complete dog when it's on :) (when it comes to acceleration anyhow)
Yeah, the A/C can really kill it. My 2004 WRX was the same way, though. Obviously still quicker than the Crosstrek, but the A/C would absolutely kill the acceleration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you fail to hit the sweet spot, you can use the paddle shifter to drop down a gear. I've found this helps in situations where the car has become bogged down (it seems the CVT can sometimes get into too high of a gear and refuses to drop down automatically, so you have to force it) -- the car peps right up whenever I do this (I've noticed if you drop a gear, it quickly gains momentum and RPMs, such that you can very soon upshift as well, and then let the CVT take over again -- you should be humming along by this time).

·
Registered
148 Posts
chris said:
Also, if you need to do something like that I'd suggest turning off the AC because I have noticed that the XV is a complete dog when it's on :) (when it comes to acceleration anyhow)
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yeah, the A/C can really kill it. My 2004 WRX was the same way, though. Obviously still quicker than the Crosstrek, but the A/C would absolutely kill the acceleration.
The A/C compressor shuts off when you go full throttle. No reason to turn off the A/C in that situation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something's amiss here. I don't know whether there is, or could be, any difference in the state of tune between US and Australian spec vehicles, but if I punch my throttle at the lights she just goes! I get almost instantaneous punch right off the mark - and it's even slightly head snapping to 40kmh. After than it's not brilliant, but adequate acceleration up to the speed limit, and I find that A/C has nothing to do with the outcome. Maybe I do unconsciously hit a sweet spot - but I don't ever calculate for it. The OP sounds like he has a completely different experience.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Omaroo said:
Something's amiss here. I don't know whether there is, or could be, any difference in the state of tune between US and Australian spec vehicles, but if I punch my throttle at the lights she just goes! I get almost instantaneous punch right off the mark - and it's even slightly head snapping to 40kmh. After than it's not brilliant, but adequate acceleration up to the speed limit, and I find that A/C has nothing to do with the outcome. Maybe I do unconsciously hit a sweet spot - but I don't ever calculate for it. The OP sounds like he has a completely different experience.
I'm with Omaroo, I have no problems punching it. It will tac around 4.5 - 5000 RPM, but it eventually comes down. I've noticed something else. The car seems to gets better with more mileage on it. I only have 12K but it seems quicker now, than earlier. OR I could just be getting used to it too.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
andthereyouare said:
I'm with Omaroo, I have no problems punching it. It will tac around 4.5 - 5000 RPM, but it eventually comes down. I've noticed something else. The car seems to gets better with more mileage on it. I only have 12K but it seems quicker now, than earlier. OR I could just be getting used to it too.
I'm with you on this, it does seem to be opening up better the more miles I put on it. Don't know if it's just in my head cause I am used to how it reacts, or if the engine has just worn in a bit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
gravitylover said:
Definitely quicker now than it used to be. I'm at 17,500 now and the mpg's are way better too.
Awesome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a bad experience the other day in the XV. I was coming down the entrance ramp to the interstate and realized I had an 18 wheeler coming up fast and another car at his left side so no way for him to move over. I jammed my foot into the throttle and raced forward fast enough to barely clear the oncoming danger. The CVT did seem to kick-down hard under those conditions and responded as well as I think it could. Maybe its just me but there is something about this engine that just doesn't not sound good to me when wound out to hard. Sort of sounds like you are torturing the engine and this engine sound and lack of performance is the part about this car I truly dislike. Having just traded a 2011 WRX for the XV and having had lots of fast performance cars in the past, I am spoiled by always having plenty of power on tap to easily avoid any odd issues of that sort. The XV's lack of power has made me become a passive driver, and although its good for the gas mileage, it takes all of the fun out of the drive thats for sure. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but for me the lack of power is one thing that I simply cannot get past.

·
Registered
168 Posts
^^ It will get better. I have a touch over 18k miles on the car now and it definitely has more "zip" than before. I have a couple of bad entrance ramps to deal with every day on my commute and they have all gotten easier over time. Yup, it does sound like the motor is eating itself up sometimes doesn't it? At least on my 06 Outback with dual exhaust that sound is better but it still sounds like it's too raw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
gravitylover said:
^^ It will get better. I have a touch over 18k miles on the car now and it definitely has more "zip" than before. I have a couple of bad entrance ramps to deal with every day on my commute and they have all gotten easier over time. Yup, it does sound like the motor is eating itself up sometimes doesn't it? At least on my 06 Outback with dual exhaust that sound is better but it still sounds like it's too raw.
I have had a bunch of normally aspirated cars that you could wring-out and they actually sounded great. A straight six in an E-36 BMW M3, or a VW VR6, especially in an R32 comes to mind. I think the XV could actually sound a lot better under full throttle. I guess misery loves company so I was checking out Nasioc and found that the guys with the regular 2.0 impreza's have the same issue. Here is a worthwhile read, its a little lengthy, but a company called Rallisport is building a 4-2-1 header for the 2.0 that actually produces some decent power gains for an NA motor. I am not affiliated with these guys in any fashion just sharing some information. This thread provides a variety of information that might be applied to the crosstrek. Quite a few pics of the stock exhaust which appears to be made of some pretty crappy mild steel that rusts pretty quickly. You also get to see the stock exhaust header configuration as well which is a weird looking set-up to say the least. The XV is my 4th Subaru and to me personally the XV exhaust note does not sound like a typical subaru boxer exhaust and I believe that this stock header design is the culprit. The last page has a nice pic of the 4-2-1 header.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2397387

The guy (username ZURCALED12) that recently purchased that header is putting together a full exhaust on his car using that header and a couple of parts from a BRZ. Trying to get major gains out of an NA motor is pretty tough, but I think this exhaust may hold the key to some overall power increase as well as providing a better sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yep. mine has a great first gear too - everything after that is mush until you nurse it up to cruising speed where it gain gains some confidence back and can hang with anyone out there. At no where on the journey does the word quiet come in....but then take a BMW into the desert and you'll have 'complaints, ask a Jeep to get 30MPG and you'll have complaints.

I happy with the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I cut my teeth with the CVT in the Mini Cooper. That car had 115 hp and the torque was maybe 110. That said, ease into the gas with a steady and gradual pressure and you will see better acceleration. Also, drive by wire has something to do with this also. If you mash the gas, the computer regulates the amount of gas the fuel injection will allow into the intake, therefore the response is less. The computer does not agree with you when you need Instant power. It things it knows better, clearly it does not!

Practice with it, trust me it will get better...like many things-practice makes perfect but it's not always about being perfect! Have fun!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts