Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my cousin has a push button start on his car. Im not sure what kind of car he has, whether its a subaru or not. Anyway, one day he went out, started his car and went back in the house. For some reason he dropped his keys on the kitchen counter. A few minutes later he left for work. When he got to work he pushed the button and turned off his car. It was at this moment he realized he didnt have his keys. Luckily one of his kids was home so he called Uber, had them go to his house, pick up his keys and bring them to his office....pretty quick thinking on his part.....I dont know if this could also happen with our Subies.

One would think that since the car will tell you you dont have the keys if you try to start it without them in the car that there would be some kind of safety mechanism to turn the car off if you attempt to shift out of PARK w/o the keys in the car..seems like a huge design flaw

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
I THINK there is a dash warning that shows up in a Subaru when the key fob is not detected after driving X distance (something short).

I faintly remember a different forum member doing a test in a large parking lot and throwing his key out the window to see what would happen. It continued to let him drive, but a warning came up, and once the car was off, it could not be restarted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Subaru shut off the car, as soon as you open the door. Probably was a non-Subaru.

I believe that only does that if you have a factory remote start, not if you actually get in the car start it and then get out with the keys

·
Registered
333 Posts
The chicken is correct. I get a warning on the cluster gauge both visual and audible that the FOB is not detected. I don't have to drive any distance. Just have to get back in the car without the FOB and the warning starts as soon as I open the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well that's good the Subaru lets you know right up front before you drive away. I have a Corvette that the same scenario happened to me and wasn't aware I didn't have my key fob until I drove my route and went to shut it off and a message came up saying the key fob was missing and it wanted to know if I shut the car off do I want the car to restart without the key fob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts