Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a gust of wind caught my driver's side door as I was opening it and pounded it in to the car next to me (no, really. It was the wind. That happens with 40 mph gusts.) I had barely opened the door. The upshot? My driver's side door is all smushed in. This doesn't seem right for the type of impact it was. I seem to recall someone posting on the forum about the doors being light or flimsy, but I am unable to find the post now. I am very upset.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Readyami,
I can tell you that the metal used on the doors is thinner and more subject to dents than my other vehicles; sometimes I believe that if I stare for too long at the doors I may ding them. I got three dings on my first week of ownership and one behind the drivers side mirror two inches long that had to be fixed by the insurance company.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for your loss! I think as manufacturers strive for more and more fuel economy, every trick to lower mass will be used. A good lesson for us all. In the interest of keeping healthy and my cars dent and chip free, I park far away from any other vehicles. No door dings in my '99 Jeep.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It is all about weight. Every car manufacturer in the US has to meet fuel economy goals. The more fuel efficient your fleet the less you pay in fines/taxes etc. So they really try to save weight were it won't affect safety. Downside is you end up with thinner sheet metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts