Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have specifics regarding downforce and drag on the XV? Any kind of information specific to the XV would be helpful, but even some basic visuals (like attached) that may show testing regarding this on the XV would be great.

The links below and attached pictures are based on the Impreza WRC. Which is close.. but still could have some difference (even if slight). So, am just looking for data kind of like this:

http://mathieuhorsky.wordpress.com/tag/drag-coefficient/

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The WRC versions typically have slight changes to the bodywork and underbody to optimize both aerodynamics and protection.

Though the front bumpers on Subaru's rally cars don't typically seem to appear to be designed for downforce, I do believe their primary objective is simply to reduce turbulence and unnecessary drag that could occur with excessive air going down through the undercarriage.

To combat both heavy-duty use and aerodynamic drag, the underbody of rally cars typically consists of skid plates and a small rear diffuser. Sometimes a single-piece unit dedicated for rally racing is fabricated for optimization of aerodynamics.

As for the rear wing, I think that's primarily for stability around corners and jumps. Not something a daily driver would typically need.

Overall, though there is some emphasis on reducing drag, I feel that typical rally cars prioritize the need for stability to be priority over straight-up streamlined aerodynamics.

Of course, as I have said before, this is from someone who is simply a car enthusiast. I am in no way, shape or form, college educated.

Maybe some members with an engineering degree or far better understanding of the topic at hand could further expand.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent inputs AWD!! And though I'm no aero physicist either, what you is logical.

Still curious about it in the XV though. Knowing the car is not built for spped like the others, aeros can still have affects even at speeds as low as 45mph.

No real reason here, was just curious as to the differences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts