Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am I the only one that felt the paint on their XV when they purchased it and got the Dry Paint sensation? The Sub-Contractor that "Washed and Shined" our XV did an Amazing job on the Black Wheels, but completely missed the boat on Shining the Paint, let alone protecting it with a Wax job. They did use some type of synthetic polish on literally the Four Doors, but they didn't polish ANYTHING else. It was entertaining to look at and see the orbital marks on the four doors, but no where else on the car.

The Sub-Contractor was kind enough to remove the white plastic covering on the Hood, Roof, and Spoiler, but they neglected to remove the adhesive lines. I realize that numerous cars are delivered and run through the detailers on a daily basis, but for the $80 or so that they are getting paid per car they should at least Vacuum the Interior and Clean the Glass. It was a nightmare, the Dealer and Sales Agents truly apologized, but because we got there after the Sub-Contractor had left there was nothing to be corrected at that time.

Needless to say, the first order of business was to get a true coat of Glaze Shine Wax and Clear Carnuba Protectant Wax on her before the southern sun and salt water plays havoc on her shiny finish. Secondly was to Clean the Glass. Eventually she will get an interior shine and protection.

I know that the Paint Protection Sales Upgrade Sales Pitch is a glorified wax, but something should be put on our XVs, its still a new car purchase. Thanks to Mother's our XV is now ready to shine and stay protected.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've never heard of a detailing sub doing new car prep...that is news to me.

I also have never heard of waxing a car before it was delivered new. Generally the finish is left for a time to fully cure, but I'm thinking this is a non-issue in this day and age.

Unless there is paint damage I would not expect for anyone to use a pollishing wheel on a new car. That is for paint correction, polishing out flaws. If they know what they are doing there should be no wheel marks left.

Mother's Tech Wax or SynWax (?) is an excellent product. Generally good for up to about 6months, or twice as long as a carnuba.

Mine also had the adhesive lines on the roof. But the car was clean inside and out. Rocker sill plugs were in the glove box, tires were over inflated.

Explains generally why my cars never go back to the dealer unless there is major warranty work required.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In our area all of the dealers, I mean every single brand car dealer, sub-contracts out the detailing/cleaning services with usually more than one company at each dealer. Not one of the dealers' employees actually touch the cleaning aspect of the cars: new, used, and when you pay the dealer to "detail" the car. There are also very few Detailing companies that actually hand-wax a car anymore, most professionals will use an orbital and can make it look like a by-hand job. The individual that polished our car doesn't know how to use an orbital properly, so it looked very very poor.

There wasn't any damage to our XV that would require a corrective orbital, it was just an inexperienced person applying and removing the polish. The orbital haze literally washed out, I triple checked for paint damage before we signed the paperwork to purchase.

I will agree that most Mother's Products are amazing. I have only be disappointed by their Wheel Cleaners, they just don't work as well as their other products.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would NOT recommend a dealership or any place to detail your car. For sure you are getting fine scratches/swirls due to their negligence

·
Registered
243 Posts
H15A said:
I would NOT recommend a dealership or any place to detail your car. For sure you are getting fine scratches/swirls due to their negligence
Totally agree. And I also agree that I have never purchased a new car that was waxed. Maybe that BS spray wax ... but not really waxed where the paint would bead for a couple months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts