Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

On my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek

I got some front end issues, and think it might be the breaks....

It's got a double cylinder brake caliper.....

My question is:

With the break apart, pads removed... when I press down on the brake pedel to check the cylinder of the caliper, I notice that BOTH cylinders go up UNEVENLY.

I'll press them back down, but when i pump the brakes i notice the cylinders dont totally go up together.

Is this normal for dual piston brake calipers?? Maybe because there's no pressure back on the cylinder it just kinda goes up with the path of least resistence? Or are these calipers toast?

Thanks
username

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is normal when applying the pedal as there is no regulator inside a brake caliper evenly distributing pressure when there is nothing on the back side, as they're designed to be pressing against something. Like you said, path of least resistance.

When pushing the pistons back in, again it's normal. you need to push them both in at the same time, or one then the other but holding the last one in place so the fluid doesn't push it back out. This is how hydraulics work.

A caliper is dead when the no longer push out or in. Basically seized in place.

Remember to lube the sliders. This is typically forgotten, and will lead to future issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts