Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, these are my first ever question to the group here. I have scanned through other posts to try to avoid repetition.

How badly do the electronics prevent sliding fun in the snow? Does x-mode help or hinder parking lot and back road drifting, donuts and similar shenanigans? I have been doing some research about this but a clear answer seems elusive. I really wanna be able to toss around my Crosstrek on those slippery surfaces.

I am looking to buy a 2018, maybe CVT for the fuel economy and adaptive CC (urban commuter, lots of stop and go traffic), maybe a manual for the fun (last 2 cars were manuals, love shiftin' my own). Dunno. What are your experiences or thoughts? Planning on doing some aftermarket rims (Method 502 or Black Rhino Rumble) and K02 tires.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you don't use X-mode and turn off TCS (just a button push), you can have all the fun you want in the snow doing donuts or whatever. But can also tell you that the CVT and X-mode along with Eyesight are worth every extra dollar and more. And even with a CVT you can shift manually using the paddle shifters.

You get a manual cheaper, I'm sure, but not with these extra features. And a manual will not have good resale value down the road. In a few years, won't be able to buy a new manual, and there will be very few drivers that will want one or know how to drive it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have a choice GET THE MANUAL!!!! My first 2 Subies were mannys and they were so much fun to drive in the snow!!! This CVT sucks. :mad: It's for blue-hairs! :eek: The paddle shifters have been the only thing keeping me from getting rid of this 2019. But compared to a manny, they suck too. (But are tolerable compared to the plain P.O.S. CVT.)
I really miss my 2015 manual Trek!!! Should have held onto it.

GET THE MANNY-TRANS!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want tail happy combine manual Mode with x drive.
What you get is 1 and 2 low fixed ratio with lots of revs and a more rearward bias and x drive doesn’t kick in and out like it normally does over 40 kph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts. Glad to know snow fun is possible. I am not concerned about the initial cost or the resale value. I always buy something couple years old to avoid the steep depreciation then drive it till it can't drive no more. Waiting on my Mazda 3 to die so I can get the Crosstrek. The fact that manuals are dying out is reason for me TO get one. I just wish the manual had better fuel economy and had some of the tech.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya! I have never bought a long term car in automatic. I love manuals so much. 17 of 20 years of driving has been with manuals. But the allure of adaptive CC for my daily commute across Toronto and that fuel economy is strong! And that fuel economy is gonna suffer even more when I add K02 tires and maybe a lift!

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can get the manual in the premium XV. The premium comes standard with some good bells and whistles. :cool:
But you can add on quite a bit if you order it.;)
That's the route I will be taking for sure the end of next year. :D
Cheers,
Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2019 is a Premium with the 6spd. I got it in January and I've put ~12k miles on it so far and I love it. I have seen mud, caliche mud, snow, snowy mud, etc. and it has gone through it all. The day after Thanksgiving we headed up Palomar Mtn to the state campground there to play in the snow . . . 12-18in and still falling when we went up. We took Nate Harrison grade and the snow on that dirt track was deep enough at the top of the mountain that we were plowing through it and could hear it scraping under the car. Made it all the way into the park then came across a downed tree so we had to backtrack all the way down to Pauma valley then up S. Grade Rd.

all on stock rubber at stock ride height. I've got a 2in lift in the garage, just haven't had time to install it.

the 6spd is a very nice shifting manual transmission

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hear ya! I have never bought a long term car in automatic. I love manuals so much. 17 of 20 years of driving has been with manuals. But the allure of adaptive CC for my daily commute across Toronto and that fuel economy is strong! And that fuel economy is gonna suffer even more when I add K02 tires and maybe a lift!
Hey there...don't be fooled by this adaptive cruise control. It's a very frustrating tool. Are you a fast or aggressive driver? (Be honest. LOL) I'm both kinds. If you are too, then this adaptive cruise control will drive you bloody bonkers! However if you are a blue-hair, or drive like one, then you will love it.
So yes....if someone gets in front of you it will slow you down to meet their pace...blah, blah, blah. But it slows down too much and then takes forever to get back up to speed!! (Even if you have that distance setting set at the minimum.) Then in the meantime every other Tom, Dick, and A-hole winds up getting in front of you. Slowing you down even more.
I love cruise control, but not when it auto slows you down. What I keep telling myself is that I want to cover up these cameras with some black electrical tape and then see if the cruise will work like a normal cruise control for long highway trips.
But like I said earlier, if you don't mind being forced to slow down, & then speeding up at a snail's pace, this should be a good fit.
-Keith

·
Registered
291 Posts
Somewhere the rebound speed up rate is adjustable.
there’s eco ... normal and sport.
So yes if you want the car going ape **** on rebound it’s adjustable.
I found that eco rebound let me drive perfectly with one bar. Sport rebound makes 1 bar feel too close.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Somewhere the rebound speed up rate is adjustable.
there’s eco ... normal and sport.
So yes if you want the car going ape **** on rebound it’s adjustable.
I found that eco rebound let me drive perfectly with one bar. Sport rebound makes 1 bar feel too close.
Wait, what? That's adjustable? Had no idea. That's fantastic. I will have to look for that and give it a try.
THANK YOU!
-Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts