Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So this is strange, but I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this.
On some cold mornings when I start up the Crosstrek, the car shakes a bit and the engine revs itself up, down, up. Then after a few more seconds, it levels out. Was wondering if this is normal or if something could be wrong?
Again, thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's most likely normal. The car will often rev up a touch and hold there (say around 2k RPMS) for a few second to raise oil pressure and help lubricate during warm up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subir_roo said:
It's most likely normal. The car will often rev up a touch and hold there (say around 2k RPMS) for a few second to raise oil pressure and help lubricate during warm up.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just have never had a car this nice -- keep noticing every little thing!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The idle air control valve could be acting up. Had one on an Outback a couple days ago that was doing this and staying on after the car was off.

·
Registered
820 Posts
On those mornings, do you notice if your defrost is on? If so, your AC could be cycling which might cause a dip, then slight surge of rpm. Regardless, mine does what you re describing minus the vibration. Smooths out after a few minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RubySu said:
On those mornings, do you notice if your defrost is on? If so, your AC could be cycling which might cause a dip, then slight surge of rpm. Regardless, mine does what you re describing minus the vibration. Smooths out after a few minutes.
I'll pay attention to whether the defrost is on next time I start'er up.
Good to know it's not just me though! Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
164 Posts
eammon said:
Just have never had a car this nice -- keep noticing every little thing!
Every time I get a new car I'm like that. It takes me a couple of months to get used to the particular little quirks and habits of each vehicle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Really paid attention to the cold morning start up this morning and didn't notice anything odd. No high revs and shakes. Also, I have the 5mt so maybe it's a transmission thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Checked again (now I always think about it when I cold start my car in the mornings) and it held at 2000 rpms. After a few minutes it drops to about 1.5

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
spyder720 said:
Checked again (now I always think about it when I cold start my car in the mornings) and it held at 2000 rpms. After a few minutes it drops to about 1.5
I actually checked mine again yesterday. It sat about about 2000 rpms for a bit, but I don't remember if it dropped down or if I started driving it before it had a chance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my wife owns a 2012 impreza 2.0i and obviously it has the same FB20 that the VX has. Oh yeah her car on a very cold start up will rev, dip, rev until it levels out. its kinda funny. Seems to be pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it. All in all I really like her 2.0i and am hopefully be an XV owner soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does this at every cold start-up. Rev's go high, it sounds clattery like something bad is going to happen and then the idle stabilizes and the engine starts to quiet down. Weirdest engine I have ever had.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was going to say that mine does it every morning when I start it up, regardless of temperature. But then I realized that I leave at 5am, so its almost always cold!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm with Spoonfed, mine does the same thing and has from the beginning. I had a 2012 Impreza 5 door with the same engine both had the CVT. It acted the same way. I think it must Subaru's way of warming up the system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was a bit concerned at first being my first Subbie. I'm at 200 miles so far, figured its a boxer engine/subbie thing maybe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What the engine is doing with the revs is all software related. There is nothing wrong, this is normal. I've got theories WHY it does this but unless you're suffering from insomnia not recommended. New cars of different makes do this, it's a "cold start" strategy concerning emissions and warming engine and emissions controls as quickly as possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts