Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2022, Crosstrek, 6-speed
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, first post. I recently had my local Subaru dealer perform the first (6-month) maintenance on my 2022 crosstrek. According to the manual and my receipt, the engine oil was changed, the fluid was checked in both differentials and some other stuff. I paid and left. When home, I crawled under and saw that the filler plugs on both differentials had not been removed. I know this b/c I had put witness marks on both. Perhaps I am not ethical for marking them, but I believe in the motto Trust but verify. I do not particularly want to go back.
Thanks for any input/suggestions.

· Registered
24 Posts
Dealer is just going to say there is only so much you can tighten those plugs and they happened to be tightened back to the same position where they were marked.
I'd try getting a refund, but at best you need to find a new dealer or independent Subie mechanic.

Oh, Welcome to the forum! You've got good taste!

· Registered
43 Posts
Dealer is just going to say there is only so much you can tighten those plugs and they happened to be tightened back to the same position where they were marked.
I'd try getting a refund, but at best you need to find a new dealer or independent Subie mechanic.

Oh, Welcome to the forum! You've got good taste!
probably the most likely outcome, but it does force the service writer to note your account, might be worth your time especially if you have an issue a few years for now

· Registered
89 Posts
"Checking" is simply putting the car on a lift & looking for oil/fluid leaking. No plugs are removed.

The CVT has NO dip stick to check fluids level. If it fails, you buy a new transmission.

Our 2004 Forester oil pump needed replaced, just AFTER the warrenty run out. Dealer said pump was leaking.
I did not see any oil dripping on drive way. Never replaced it. At 180,000 miles, same pump on car.

At 78 years of age, i have learned most scheduled maintenance is not needed & just additional profits for the dealer. In 10 years, an estimate is around $7000 for just "checking"

Currently own Crosstrek 2019 & 2017 Forester.

· Registered
5 Posts
I agree 243winxb. 76er here. NEVER take the word of a dealer service rep who says you need some "scheduled maintenance". Get yourself a copy of the owner's manual for the scheduled maintenance list. It's surprising what we as consumers are told is "required". Like going to the docs, you need to be your own advocate....or at least your Sub's advocate. And it certainly is not just Subaru. I also have a VW Atlas. Best road car ever... but won't go back to the dealer for service. Did I mention to find your "scheduled maintence" in your owner's manual? If you google the maintence you will get a different list at every dealer website.

· Registered
34 Posts
Just joined, first post. I recently had my local Subaru dealer perform the first (6-month) maintenance on my 2022 crosstrek. According to the manual and my receipt, the engine oil was changed, the fluid was checked in both differentials and some other stuff. I paid and left. When home, I crawled under and saw that the filler plugs on both differentials had not been removed. I know this b/c I had put witness marks on both. Perhaps I am not ethical for marking them, but I believe in the motto Trust but verify. I do not particularly want to go back.
Welcome to the club, last time I took my Crosstrek to the dealer for an oil change they didn't need change the oil but the technician also wrote that he inflated all four tires to 35 lb. I had checked them a couple of days before I decided to get the oil changed and they were all low to some extent. Went out and checked them again and the technician hadn't touched them they were at the exact same pressures they had been at. Pretty much dumping my dealer going back to my previous mechanic of 10 years who it turns out has lots of Subaru experience lol. Then my brake light switch failed and because of an extended factory warranty went to the dealer they wanted to charge me $100 to scan and said replacing the brake light switch would be one and a half hours of labor at 170 per hour plus about $82 for a switch - $337 to replace a switch that's worth about $25 and takes at most 20 to 30 minutes to change. Left immediately, went back to my mechanic who scanned it for free confirming brake light switch failed detected immediately. I'll pay the 84 bucks for the new Switch which is still cheaper than my $100 warranty deductible I am so done with dealers!

· Registered
23 Posts
I don't think the dealer was going to charge you $100 just to scan--and then ADD a $170/hr x 1.5 hours labor charge ! If he did, that place is a real "stealership" !
Extended warranties on almost anything are usually worse than worthless.

· Registered
3 Posts
Suggestion: Instead of complaining here, write to Subaru of America. Address: One Subaru Dr, Camden, NJ 08103. When I complained about another matter on my lease deal, I got almost an immediate response from a wonderful woman customer representative there. She told me they would investigate the matter and get back to me within two weeks. She did and then she emailed me a coupon for $500 to use at any Subaru dealership for service or products, PLUS she mailed me a wonderful Subaru emergency kit in a zippered bag! I don't think this would happen with a General Motors dealership complaint!

· Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the club, last time I took my Crosstrek to the dealer for an oil change they didn't need change the oil but the technician also wrote that he inflated all four tires to 35 lb. I had checked them a couple of days before I decided to get the oil changed and they were all low to some extent. Went out and checked them again and the technician hadn't touched them they were at the exact same pressures they had been at. Pretty much dumping my dealer going back to my previous mechanic of 10 years who it turns out has lots of Subaru experience lol. Then my brake light switch failed and because of an extended factory warranty went to the dealer they wanted to charge me $100 to scan and said replacing the brake light switch would be one and a half hours of labor at 170 per hour plus about $82 for a switch - $337 to replace a switch that's worth about $25 and takes at most 20 to 30 minutes to change. Left immediately, went back to my mechanic who scanned it for free confirming brake light switch failed detected immediately. I'll pay the 84 bucks for the new Switch which is still cheaper than my $100 warranty deductible I am so done with dealers!
Cappy, I had by brake light switch replaced a few years back after hearing about a recall. Austin Subaru didn't charge me anything. After my warranty was up I stared doing my own oil changes and tire rotations. Dealer repairs are way too expensive.

· Registered
55 Posts
Wasn't the tail light switch a covered factory recall?

· Registered
34 Posts
Cappy, I had by brake light switch replaced a few years back after hearing about a recall. Austin Subaru didn't charge me anything. After my warranty was up I stared doing my own oil changes and tire rotations. Dealer repairs are way too expensive.
Agree, and I asked my dealer to cover it under the recall but they said only covered up to 2018 - my Subie was born one year too late lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts