Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a small scratch on my drivers side door by the handle and its driving me nuts.

I don't know how it got there but I would like to know an effective DIY technique to get rid of it, or at least make it less noticeable.

Any suggestions? I have the Crystal Black Silica.

Thanks

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
It depends on whether it's all the way through the clear coat or not. A good body/paint shop, or detail shop should be able to get it to where it's virtually unnoticeable if it's just clear coat. If it's through the color coat it's a repaint patch job, and that generally means the whole panel. Metallic paints are very difficult to match. And not just due to paint color shading, but the temp it's sprayed, viscosity, how much reducer, how wet the coats are, etc.

If you get down to Orange County one of these days I'd be happy to look at it, try a few things on it. I've been doing paint and detail work for decades. On the old solid color paint jobs you can litterally fill a chip up with matched paint and then sand it flush and polish it, and it would completely disappear. I've got a 35 year old mercedes in the garage and there isn't a single chip on the front of that car. ;)

EDIT: I just looked at the photo....looks to be just clear coat. Could more than likely wet sand it to get most it out, then polish to hide it. Also possible to spot-touch with clear to fill it up, buff out to blend. I would probably try the latter if it's a deep scratch.

If you pickup a can of TR3 Resin Glaze and polish it, it may very well be almost completely hidden. That stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Small scratches have magically appeared around all four of my door handles and I'm just learning to ignore them. I had the first one fixed by the dealer (because it was there when I took delivery), but another has miraculously appeared. I'm thinking it's just cheap paint because I'm definitely not whacking the doors with my keys and I've never had this happen so often on other vehicles I've owned. My wife just keeps telling me to let it go because it's a vehicle designed to be lightly abused anyway. I'm trying...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Buy some Scratch X and get a cotton wax applicator pad. Rub it in as directed on the bottle and buff it off with microfiber. Then wax the whole car with regular hand wax (no sprays). You won't be able to see it anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with post above ^

Meguiars Scratch-x works wonders. From the picture it does look like a clearcoat scratch. As long as you cant feel it with your fingernail, youre in the clear. Make sure your car is squeaky clean before you try to use Scratch-X on it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't think I can feel the scratch (I will test again tomorrow to be sure) so maybe Scratch-X is the way to go. Good project for me this weekend!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The scratch x will kind of rub into it and blur the line of the scratch but the wax coat will smooth it all out and trick your eye into not seeing the scratch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
The scratch x will kind of rub into it and blur the line of the scratch but the wax coat will smooth it all out and trick your eye into not seeing the scratch.
that happens if you only spend 1minute using scratch-x. its a apply and work-in product. scratch-x it actually has paint cleaners and diminishing abrasives that will take light scratches out. wax just hides things. its like putting a plastic polish over a scratched up body cladding. it looks like its gone, but once it dries up the scratch is still there. speaking from experience, i actually had some dealer installed scratches on the black plastic of the roof rails. i tried using polish to hide it, but sure enough in the right lighting you could see the ugly hairline scratches that they put in there by rubbing dirty towels on it. so i used some meguairs plast-x and lightly and slowly removed the fine scratches on the black plastic without screwing it up.

this is usually my method for all light scratches that takes out almost any scratch that you cant feel with your fingernail.

need: meguairs scratch-x, meguairs quick detailer, foam applicator pad, microfiber towels

1. wash area squeaky clean
2. dry thoroughly
3 apply small dab of scratch-x to softest microfiber/soft foam pad and work it in slowly and lightly. only using the weight of your hand as the pressure. keep rubbing until the scratch-x starts dissapating; check status. and wipe off the residue.
4. spray some meguairs quick detailer on the area and make sure to clean off any leftover scratch-x.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts