Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a blank valet key on the web and successfully cut and programmed it? I'm getting by XVC next week and I just spoke to my salesman. He says it's over $200 for an extra valet key. I always like to have a few extra on hand. I found a place on the web called IKEYLESS which sells blank transponder keys for $19, but they do not provide programing instructions, which are usually a series of nonsensical directions like TURN THE KEY ON, TURN THE KEY OFF, TAKE OUT THE KEY, OPEN THE DOOR, etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order to start the car, the key has to have a chip in it and that chip needs to be programmed to the car. Automakers are making it a real pain in the ass and a big expense if you want some extra keys. So far I haven't found a 2013 XV blank with the transponder chip and no programming instructions ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Your new XV should come with 2 programmed keys and a valet key.

Also... Steve posted part numbers on another thread of GM key blanks that fit and work successfully. Look it up.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xtrekr said:
Your new XV should come with 2 programmed keys and a valet key.

Also... Steve posted part numbers on another thread of GM key blanks that fit and work successfully. Look it up.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
YES! I remember reading that. I'll have to revisit it. Thanks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those GM blanks will open the doors but they will not start the car. On the newer Subaru models you CAN NOT program new keys yourself. They have to be programmed using dealer software, usually this process takes about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll settle for being able to carry a spare or two to be able to open the doors in a lockout. Too bad manufactures have made it so hard and expensive for owners to get a REAL usable extra key.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just traded in my 2012 Ford Fusion to get a Crosstrek and the only thing I'll miss from that car is the 5 button combination lock on the door. No worries of a lockout. Kept a spare valet key hidden in the trunk for an emergency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts