Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to disable?

I can’t find anywhere in the books where it shows how to turn off Eyesight. I’m about ready to cover the cameras with electrical tape!:mad:
I really thought I would like it, but it seems it’s made for the “blue-hair” crowd, or very passive drivers. I’m fairly aggressive.
The car is constantly jamming on the brakes. And this interactive cruise control is great when there’s no or very light traffic! I had it turned on recently on a drive down to GA. (Where, btw, If you are going 75-80 on parts of Rt85?…you are in the way!!) When someone gets in front of you this interactive cruise slows down so dramatically that 5 cars get ahead of you. Then it takes FOREVER to accelerate back up to the set 85. I love the lane departure feature, but I would rather do without then have to be some passive driver.

So is it going to be covering the cameras with electrical tape? Or does anyone know how to turn it off COMPLETELY....no emergency breaking...etc.?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like you need more power too, may I suggest a manual wrx
No, just need a car that doesn't restrict, or "big brother", my driving.
My old 2015 was a 5-spd, and I was really happy with that.

Just looking to see if there's a way to turn off the eyesight. But "thanks!":confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, just need a car that doesn't restrict, or "big brother", my driving.
My old 2015 was a 5-spd, and I was really happy with that.

Just looking to see if there's a way to turn off the eyesight. But "thanks!":confused:
Push button up by the mirror. But you have to do it each time you start the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Get to know the buttons on the dash. I think near your left knee you can turn off the auto breaking.
Will check it out. Thank you!
(Yeah, that green lit button on the mirror, does shut it "off" but not fully. The automatic braking is still there.)
Worse comes to worst, electrical tape might be my best bet. lol
Thanks again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The button you need to push and hold until you hear a beep is up by the power sunroof buttons on the head liner. There are 2. The one on the right is the one to push and hold. This will disable EyeSight and all its functions. But yes it defaults back on next time you start the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The button you need to push and hold until you hear a beep is up by the power sunroof buttons on the head liner. There are 2. The one on the right is the one to push and hold. This will disable EyeSight and all its functions. But yes it defaults back on next time you start the engine.
AH! I was pressing the wrong button! LOL
Will give it a try. (And having to do it everytime I drive is no big deal!)
Thank you.
And thanks to everyone who responded to this thread!
Appreciate it.
-Keith

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can’t help but point out that your idea of blacking out eyesight would definitely force the cpu into off.
I just want to point out how bad finger prints are for the cameras.
Also overspray from window cleaner especially ammonia cleaner will damage the anti reflective coating on the lenses.
Cleaning your window use sunglasses cleaner no amonia.
Don’t spray directly on window but rather on cloth outside of vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car is constantly jamming on the brakes. And this interactive cruise control is great when there’s no or very light traffic! I had it turned on recently on a drive down to GA. (Where, btw, If you are going 75-80 on parts of Rt85?…you are in the way!!) When someone gets in front of you this interactive cruise slows down so dramatically that 5 cars get ahead of you. Then it takes FOREVER to accelerate back up to the set 85. I love the lane departure feature, but I would rather do without then have to be some passive driver.
Mine has adjustment selections for the aggressiveness of the cruise response and how close it follows. The how close is easy and live on the steering wheel. The response was in a menu option.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
As Cogen Man mentioned, press and hold the buttons that indicate disabling the EyeSight camera functionality and you will no longer have EyeSight as a nuisance. I turn it off sometimes when I drive off-road in the Forester, or if I go out for a "spirited drive".

FYI, I have had good experiences with Tesla Motors' Enhanced Autopilot. It was clearly tuned for the aggressive driver who wishes to move with a sense of purpose. Or you could consider going back to a manual transmission.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As Cogen Man mentioned, press and hold the buttons that indicate disabling the EyeSight camera functionality and you will no longer have EyeSight as a nuisance. I turn it off sometimes when I drive off-road in the Forester, or if I go out for a "spirited drive".

FYI, I have had good experiences with Tesla Motors' Enhanced Autopilot. It was clearly tuned for the aggressive driver who wishes to move with a sense of purpose. Or you could consider going back to a manual transmission.
Oh trust me...I wanted the manual trans! But it seemed like all of the mannys didn't have all the bells and whistles I wanted. Even the mirrors of what they showed me were black...no built-in directionals...etc.
What sold me on my car was it's interior. My 2 previous Sub's interiors were like black caves. This 2 tone grey/black leather, and the 2 tone door panels were done really well.
When I was at the dealership and they couldn't get me the manual with what I wanted, I told them then to give me one with EVERY option avail. (Even though now I don't like some of them. LOL)

Speaking of options, was up in Canada last week for a couple of days on business. The XV's there? Heated steering wheels and chrome door handles on the limited trim! :confused::eek: WTF?!? I want that! LOL

As always thanks for the advice from everyone!
Have a great weekend!
-Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
My XV has a European VIN. The first day I had it, the eyesight was fully functional. The adaptive cruise control worked in the stop/ wait (unlimited time)/ auto resume mode. When I was going down I 95, I didn’t have to touch the brakes or gas all the way to Richmond.
That night, the full auto got shut off. When I told the dealer, they said I was lying, and that the crosstrek didn’t have that feature, only it’s big brothers did.
At first I thought Subaru came into the car’s computer system and disabled it. Now after reading this thread, I’m looking at the GPS /TomTom connection to the computer system.
Any thoughts on this?.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts