Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buying my Crosstrek this weekend! It's my first Subaru and first new car ever.

I'd debating whether to buy a premium package 13 or package 14. I've always wanted a moonroof because I'm a romantic but I think the benefit of the Eyesight might be more sensible.

Can anyone shed some light on how valuable they find the Eyesight technology?

Does it bug you with beeping in day-to-day driving?

*Note: I do live in Los Angeles, a city they finds new ways to distract drivers everyday.

·
Registered
811 Posts
For me personally, I decided it wasn't worth it. For my very active 82 year old mother, I wish she had it on her 2015 Legacy but she didn't want to pay the extra $$ for it. Should have insisted more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a personal choice really, however since I have had mine a little over a month now, already Eyesight has saved from 2 instances of where someone cut me off on the highway. And yes it does work as advertised.

Ask yourself this one question, what price do you put on safety? Then you will know if you should opt for it or not.

Also, I would bet a 99% chance your insurance will be lower with it, than without it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Absolutely worth it in my opinion. You asked whether the beeping in day to day driving was a bother. Not really. It'll probably make you a better driver. I live in a rural area of Virginia. I used to complain about the local drivers " sloppy driving" not staying in their lane especially cutting corners, crossing the center line, in left hand turns. With EyeSight I've been reminded that I tend to crowd the center line myself. Now, I don't, and also it'll make you better at using your lane change indicator before changing lanes. You can vary the volume of the beeps if they bug you. Also, as others have said, you'll probably love the adaptive cruise if you drive in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eyesight is well worth it to me, I love the adaptive cruse control (keeps me from following too close which I've done on occasion and then have to listen to my wife about it) :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
The car I test drove had Eyesight and the lane departure system drove me nuts. :eek: So when I ordered my car that option was skipped.

Now a couple of guys at work have and love the system. On the safety aspect of the debate, well I can't argue against the benefits there. Guess it's a matter of personal preference and priorities.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The car I test drove had Eyesight and the lane departure system drove me nuts. :eek: So when I ordered my car that option was skipped.

Now a couple of guys at work have and love the system. On the safety aspect of the debate, well I can't argue against the benefits there. Guess it's a matter of personal preference and priorities.
What drove you nuts, was it the chime? That can possibly be turned off, did you ask?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What drove you nuts, was it the chime? That can possibly be turned off, did you ask?
Yes. It was loud and the sensor seemed a little too sensitive, either that or I'm just not capable of keeping the car between the lines. LOL It can be disabled but resets to "on" every time the car is started.

Honestly I can understand why others like it, still would have loved to have the adaptive cruise control though. Just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes. It was loud and the sensor seemed a little too sensitive, either that or I'm just not capable of keeping the car between the lines. LOL
Thus my comment about it will probably make you a better driver. It's kind of a good idea to be able to keep your car in your lane And yes the volume is adjustable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just about 1 hour ago a moron jumped out from between parked cars and made a mad dash across four lanes of traffic. My Eyesight picked him up and the systems audible and visual warnings came on. I'm on the stop pedal. Eyesight was already stopping the Subie. I came to a complete stop with Eyesight and myself on the pedal. Unfortunately for the pedestrian, the truck to my left didn't have a collision avoidance system, didn't see him and didn't miss him. He's alive but pretty messed up. So the Eyesight proved to me that it's well worth it. I probably would have stopped to avoid him myself but that split second that Eyesight did it's thing made the difference between me hitting him and the truck getting him. I'm still shaking a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eyesight? **** yes!!!! it makes or breaks the car. I wouldnt like my XV nearly as much if it didn't have the eyesight. It doesnt seem like a big deal or even necessary during the test drive, but after a few weeks of driving, i promise you wont regret it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only downside is that I had a hard time getting my windshield replaced due to the cut outs for the Eyesight system. Safelight had to buy a windshield from the dealership which took the total cost from around $330, to $950 with Eyesight. And it delayed my replacement by two weeks. At least my deductible was still $100.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. I've only had my Crosstrek for a week, but the adaptive cruise control alone is worth it. This is what cruise control was meant to be. I haven't tried the auto brake system, nor plan to test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree. I've only had my Crosstrek for a week, but the adaptive cruise control alone is worth it. This is what cruise control was meant to be. I haven't tried the auto brake system, nor plan to test.
I didn't want to test the auto brake either for fear of crashing a new car, but when i did it worked surprisingly well. personally, i think this should be a standard safety feature on all Subarus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love Eyesight

I am in law enforcement and work odd hours. When I went to buy a XV I told my wife about Eyesight and she loved it. When I got to the lot they did not have a XV with Eyesight. I talked myself out of needing and saving $3k helped me. My wife convinced me to get one with Eyesight so I had the dealer find one for me. I have to tell you that I love it.
I commute an hour to work and another hour from work everyday. The lane departure warning is great when you are coming off of a midnight shift and are faced with an hour commute on a boring stretch of highway. Luckily I have not had to use that feature yet.
The feature that I have used and love is the adaptive cruise control. It is nice to just set it and forget about it.
As far as the beeping goes, it is adjustable. I turn the volume up all the way many for the lane departure warning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was also on the fence before buying my '16 and sure am glad i opted for Eyesight. Ditto to what everyone else has already said! I think for safety, it will be an important option to have, and for resale as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cogen Man, I have wondered if Eyesight would detect a deer crossing the road (LOTS of deer collisions around here this time of year!) and slow the XV down to help avoid it. From your scary experience with a pedestrian, it seems Eyesight might be useful for wildlife avoidance as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts