Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow just noticed this, and im not sure if this is just a defect on my car. But if you put your hand underneath the bottom of instrument panel's plastic trim, there are two pieces of fabric on each side of the steering wheel.. I can try getting a photo of this if need be. But im super confused.

The pieces of black fabric are just hanging down like mudflaps. If you push them in, it exposes the more unsightly mechanical assemblies where the steering wheel is connected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i got one too. i figured i was there so you couldnt see steering parts and to keep dust from getting all over them. mine is resting on the plastic of the steering column, not sure if should be shoved further back.

i bet someone has a superior idea than me

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's exactly what it's there for. If you're tall like me and sit way back with the wheel extended out all the way it hides all the stuff that's back in there. Just to keep things looking a little better is all!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just noticed the fabric on mine last week.
It's an odd but suppose effective remedy for shielding
innards from view.

·
Registered
714 Posts
With the amount of money spent on design and the need to cut costs in manufacturing you can be sure there is NOTHING on your car that doesn't have a purpose!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Lower your steering column all the way and double check. I looked at about 6 of them in the shop today (It'd been a HUGE delivery week) and they all had it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I saw one review that commented on this particular feature, he said that it seemed awful cheap of a solution, but whatever, it's hardly noticeable. It is there simply to hide the mechanicals from view as others have said.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the responses everyone.

im glad this is normal. at first i was like what are these curtains for??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts