Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm impressed.

It was a Limited with the Nav/sunroof option.

To be honest I was a little worried about the XV being underpowered, but it sure felt like more than 150hp. I didn't try interstate speed passing or merging, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by the seat-of-the-pants feel. I had reservations about the CVT, but it sure seems dialed in just right for the 2.0. It's got a nice firm ride without being harsh.

I like the looks and the interior layout, but I guess I don't need to describe the aesthetics to you; I'm the only one here that doesn't already own a Crosstrek!

One negative: I found the Nav/audio set up to be ridiculously non-intuitive. Maybe it's improved over our 2011 Outback, but not by much. I have a $120 Garmin Nuvi that can take input while moving (from the passenger, of course!) and includes lifetime map updates. And if I don't like having the extra unit stuck to my dash or windshield, I can just use my iPhone.

I was also really impressed with the dealer. Absolutely no pressure, and the salesman didn't even ride along. After getting a copy of my license he handed me the keys and told me to take my time. When I told him that I liked the car but was probably a month or two out from a purchase he just gave me his card and said "That's fine, I need to sell cars in July and August, too."

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey Sinker- I couldn't agree more about car based nav units. The price charged for the quality given doesn't seem to match IMO. I do like the clean look,of factory nav units but that's about it. I've had some expensive cars over the years and I never found one that outperforms my $100 Garmin! Lol

I believe there have been plenty of people on here that don't actually own a Crosstrek- no biggy, we're just glad to have you here. ;) I don't have the CVT so I can't speak to that other than what I've read here. Seems there is a distinct method used to get better performance out of it....there are plenty of threads that speak to this and I know that most concur with your assessment of the XV not being underpowered.

Sounds like you found yourself a "keeper" of a salesperson- I'd go right back to them when the time comes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sinker,

I was concerned with the 2.0 and CVT combination myself. I did some background specs and found that it was about the same as our 98 Outback Sport....a pleasant surprise.
On the interstate? Like a lot of autos you just have to find the SWEET spot. When you do it actually has a lot zip.
Oh! If you head out west or into high altitudes, then keep with mid-grade fuel and higher only. I went with low grade and the car had real fits.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ruled out the Crosstrek due to the "low horsepower" bashing and am glad I decided to reconsider and give it a test drive. The Crosstrek is a light vehicle and 148 HP is plenty to move it around, and results in exceptional MPG for an AWD crossover. In my test drive I took it from 0-60, 40-60, and 60-80 and thought it was fine. More than 1K miles in I find it has enough and can overtake vehicles on the freeway as much as you may reasonably need.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Glad you gave it a go, sinker. As others, I was hesitant about the Crosstrek's power. I started reading about the car well before it hit any local dealers and, while I love Subarus and loved the other aspects of the Crosstrek, I sort of marked it off my list due to the lack of power. Finally my old Outback Sport was falling apart and I took it into Subaru to have something checked out and while there looked at the Crosstrek. A couple weeks later I came back for a test drive and drove it home that night.

Once you learn how the CVT reacts and what RPMs are best for each scenario the Crosstrek rarely feels underpowered IMO.

·
Registered
800 Posts
grats on finally taking a test drive sinker!

I was definitely looking out for the power of the XV during mine, having read a number of articles trashing the HP. Now with almost 7k on the odo, I can tell you that I have never had a problem with the pickup during merging and passing at highway speeds. With the CVT I have noticed that it picks up faster with a slow and constant pressure on the gas rather than flooring it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts