Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotorTrend First Drive: First Drive: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Prototype

Summary:
Overall, the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek handles better, feels firmer on the road, and offers a little more power, but some might be disappointed by the meager improvement in mileage. Pricing will be announced closer to the car's launch at the end of this year and will almost certainly be north of the 2013 Crosstrek's $22,745 starting price.
Full Story: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1306_2014_subaru_xv_crosstrek_hybrid_prototype_first_drive/

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
My question is this:
Since the highway mileage improvement is really just due to more aerodynamic wheels and active grille shutters, could those be added (by Subaru) to the gasoline model to bump highway mileage up to 34mpg in all 2014 models?

The Hybrid system itself is only really helping the city figures, bumping them by a noticeable 3 miles per gallon. But that 1mpg highway could really add up for a guy like me that drives 200+ miles per day, with a minimum of 80% highway and very little traffic along the I-15 corridor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are those new wheels on the 2014 hybrid also going to be stock on the non-hybrid 2014 model? If so - man, am I ever glad I got the 2013.. <g> I know some don't like the 2013 hub design, but I think it is one of the coolest looks in the parking lot..

BeachAV8R

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't want to accuse Subaru of 'green-washing',...... but I can't see much of an advantage to getting the Hybrid - other than the extra boost to acceleration from the electric motor (green alternative to turbo?).

On a side note, does anyone know what the two knobs coming down on either side of the ceiling console are?

·
Registered
224 Posts
BeachAV8R said:
Are those new wheels on the 2014 hybrid also going to be stock on the non-hybrid 2014 model? If so - man, am I ever glad I got the 2013.. <g> I know some don't like the 2013 hub design, but I think it is one of the coolest looks in the parking lot..

BeachAV8R
Totally agree with that. Looks like wheels that would be on a new Honda (nothing against Hondas, just saying).

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes.. the two "knobs" are the new Subaru EYE SIGHT technology. They already have it in the 2014 Foresters. And, knowing those consoles are all the same, I don't see any reason why we can't retro fit that Eye Sight on our 2013 XVs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts