Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten the chance to take the XV through some solid snow and it's been very good overall. Had a good scare this evening.
My parents live on a single lane road here in Boulder, and the hill down one side is in reality insanely steep. Boulder has not made it a two lane road due to the risk from the hill leading into a 5 way stop. About half way down the hill I lost traction. I would, beyond any doubt, say that the tires played a large role in the loss of traction. They are not winter tires and this was about an inch of snow over some very solid ice in sub freezing weather. Pitched the car sideways very quickly before I had a chance to correct. ABS did exactly what I expected, a whopping nothing, which is all you can expect on ice. It was slick enough that the options were off the brake or wheels locked. However, it ended well. The crosstrek is very sure footed. I was able to put a little power to the wheels and straighten her out. Thank goodness there was no one at the intersection as I blazed through that pretty quickly!

Overall I was impressed, the car handled the situation well. It was easy to control and performed as expected. No snap oversteer on correction even on ice. Couldn't have been happier with the outcome of an iffy situation!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got some solid years and a few snow driving courses as well as some snow stages under my belt. This thing did very well. I'll certainly invest in snow tires, the all seasons just don't cut it when you really need them.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
I've got some solid years and a few snow driving courses as well as some snow stages under my belt. This thing did very well. I'll certainly invest in snow tires, the all seasons just don't cut it when you really need them.
All-terrain snow-rated tires with the rally wheels? ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking full rally studs.

Like these....

However it turns out the DOT frowns upon running those on the street.... ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That and occasionally those studs come off like bullets...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, they can get pretty serious if they go flying....

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Yea, they can get pretty serious if they go flying....
Rally mudflaps would help reduce danger/damage, but mudflaps can be very inconvenient for reversing...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a VERY large size difference between DOT approved studded snow tires and the studs on a rally snow tire. Full size flaps are not meant for going backwards at all, they tend to get sucked under the tire which is no good. We use a set of elastic cables and mounts to help keep the flaps pulled away from the tire, or a tensioned cable for tarmac rally to pull the flap up and completely out of the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts