Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first service done for free at the dealer at just over 5,000 miles. Service manager strongly suggested this was the appropriate interval because "living in the Bay Area, we have harsh driving conditions, stopping and starting, driving short distances, air quality."

This guy has no idea how I drive my car, whether I experience daily traffic or only drive on weekends for long road trips. Just another dealer trying to get me to ignore what the manufacturer suggests as a proper maintenance interval.

When I said I was comfortable following Subaru's recommendation of 7,500 miles and that I only did it at 5,000 because it was the first oil change and it was free, he sort of smugly replied, "Well, it's your car. You do what you want."

Of course, they placed a reminder sticker on my windshield that says I'm due for an oil change in another 5,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I plan to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation of 7500, though I have to admit I feel uncomfortable about it. If that is the case, I am willing to spend more for synthetic oil and pay dealership service prices. When I took my 2012 Accord to my old guy for an oil change, he couldn't reset the oil gauge and apparently only the dealership can do this. What a scam.

Anyway, I think I will have it changed at 5,000, at least for the first time. I'm from a generation where it was recommended to get it changed after 1,000 miles, then 3,000-mile intervals thereafter. I don't think it will hurt your car to have the oil changed more frequently than recommended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
My dealer put the sticker on for 3,000 for my first oil change. I'm considering doing it at 1,000 though they told me I would be throwing away my money... At $70 for a 0w20 full syn change I think I may stick with 3,000 that they recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
kyakdvl said:
My dealer put the sticker on for 3,000 for my first oil change. I'm considering doing it at 1,000 though they told me I would be throwing away my money... At $70 for a 0w20 full syn change I think I may stick with 3,000 that they recommend.
^ This.

I would not go 5K on the first. Somewhere 1000-3000 is plenty, or when it starts to get dirty. There's assembly lube and all manner of crud, and any breakin wear in that first oil change.

After that then the 7500 OCI is fine as long as you're using a top-tier syn and non-severe driving. Lot's discussed here on oil for the 'trek: http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,527

At 5-6K an oil analysis is suggested, or just change it. Definitely by 7500. By then the additive package can be used up.

Your dealer isn't steering you wrong.

If you're just gonna trade it off after a few years then it doesn't matter. It will be someone elses issue. If you're gonna try to keep it past 100K then it pays to change the oil more frequently. There will be less wear on engine internals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
I waited until about 6,500 but only because I had the car there for another reason, otherwise I would have waited until 7,500. However, you guys are now making me think I should have gone more in the 3k range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I waited until about 6,500 but only because I had the car there for another reason, otherwise I would have waited until 7,500. However, you guys are now making me think I should have gone more in the 3k range.
Yes. Yes you should have ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
:-/ hmm well here's my 2 cents 5000 is perfect for your most important oil change which is your first. Unless you didn't follow break in guide lines or your driving it like a STI or towed with it. Secondly I'd use subarus 0w20 full synthetic and Subaru oil filter and change your own oil especially since the filters on top in an easy space now. The Money you spend on oil changes a lot of it is labor not just the oil. As for intervals go off of how you drive it, hills, towing, and stop and go traffic. So pretty much frequent long term heavy load on the engine will deplete your oil faster than normal. So if you drive it normal and baby it then 7500 is a good recommendation but I'm gonna do it between 5-6thousand miles 3000 for towing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
suuichi said:
:-/ hmm well here's my 2 cents 5000 is perfect for your most important oil change which is your first.

And you would know this how?
Not that I really care about what people do with their cars, but there's no way I'd run the first fill that long in a new engine.
Stating this as a sort of authoritative recommendation is misleading. My dealer (factory store) paid for 2 years of service and they don't even do that. True, the NA motors get a standard OCI for the first, the turbos are half of that. I want new oil by a couple of thousand, three at the latest.

And that's my 2 cents. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
When I picked up my Crosstrek yesterday the salesman told me that the first first oil change would be at the recommended interval of 7500 miles.

He said that today's engines don't really need a break in period. Before, the engines were die cut which caused metal filings to get into the oil which necessitated the early oil change. It was implied that that is not true with today's engines.

That is what he told me, not necessarily what I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I was told by the salesperson that my first two oil changes should be at 3000 mile intervals. Then, I can go to the 7500 mile interval between changes.

Are the XV oil changes really $70 a pop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
First service at 3k, subsequent ones at 7.5k intervals. Subaru recommends synthetic oil, and at that interval I do too. There's no earthly reason to change oil more frequently unless you're consistently towing uphill in a sandstorm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
05Train said:
First service at 3k, subsequent ones at 7.5k intervals. Subaru recommends synthetic oil, and at that interval I do too. There's no earthly reason to change oil more frequently unless you're consistently towing uphill in a sandstorm.
I got the first 2 years free service and it is stated 3k first oil change (synthetic) & 7.5k after that in the paper work for the service agreement. So, that's what I'm going to follow as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
CJBROWN said:
suuichi said:
:-/ hmm well here's my 2 cents 5000 is perfect for your most important oil change which is your first.

And you would know this how?
Not that I really care about what people do with their cars, but there's no way I'd run the first fill that long in a new engine.
Stating this as a sort of authoritative recommendation is misleading. My dealer (factory store) paid for 2 years of service and they don't even do that. True, the NA motors get a standard OCI for the first, the turbos are half of that. I want new oil by a couple of thousand, three at the latest.

And that's my 2 cents. ;)
:-/ owners manual I do believe! Plus I'm a Subaru enthusiast/mechanic :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
05Train said:
First service at 3k, subsequent ones at 7.5k intervals. Subaru recommends synthetic oil, and at that interval I do too. There's no earthly reason to change oil more frequently unless you're consistently towing uphill in a sandstorm.
recommend is a touchy word seeing as the engine was engineered for synthetic only if you read your owners manual in detail you will notice it says 5000 first oil change. With my experience changing the oil a little bit before the manufacturers recommendation will usually extend the engine life more. You never know when the additives in the oil are burnt out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Hector4Christ said:
He said that today's engines don't really need a break in period. Before, the engines were die cut which caused metal filings to get into the oil which necessitated the early oil change. It was implied that that is not true with today's engines.

That is what he told me, not necessarily what I believe.
As part of that statement in true you must have forgot to mention that breaking in the engine deals more than just metal shavings for instance the setting in of your seals. Plus not to mention safe break in of other parts of the cars which is also why you don't slam your brakes during that period.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top