Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally ordered and had my strut bar installed! Cant even begin to describe how satisfied I am with it. The body roll is now non existent or very little. even though it is quite expensive, i think it was worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm assuming it's the OEM Subaru one that he bought. To my understanding it's designed to prevent the towers from moving toward or away from each other (which any strut brace should do) to reduce roll but it enables them to twist/deflect forward and backward to try to keep the ride soft and smooth (which a regular stiff bar would limit).

Edit: I still wouldn't spend over $400 for a strut bar...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subir_roo said:
I'm assuming it's the OEM Subaru one that he bought. To my understanding it's designed to prevent the towers from moving toward or away from each other (which any strut brace should do) to reduce roll but it enables them to twist/deflect forward and backward to try to keep the ride soft and smooth (which a regular stiff bar would limit).

Edit: I still wouldn't spend over $400 for a strut bar...

yeah, pretty much. It helps distribute the weight when turning and being that it is flexible gives a little play when turning. Also, one side pushes down while the other is pushing up, if going over anything. Even though it cost four hundred dollars, i spent it. I know its alot, but to me, it was worth it if you want better ride quality and to eliminate the body roll. I bought it from subarugenineparts.com

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's listed in the Crosstrek Accessories booklet from Subaru, the part number is E4010FJ000. List is $449.99

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a opportunity to pick a used one up for under $200, but passed. I ended up buying a Megan Racing unit for $90. Works 95% as well as the OEM Subaru "flexible unit," for a boatload less $$$. Works for me. As they say, to each his-her own. I'd love to have the Scooby unit, but too cheap these days. I'm retiring in October, so saving my pennies to travel. :D

The only real down side for the Megan Racing unit is removal to get access to the brake master cylinder reservoir cap. It's made for a WRX, not an XV. But it works none the less..

Clearance over the master cylinder reservoir cap (pic makes it look closer than it really is)

·
Registered
714 Posts
It looks like you have that bad boy reversed. It should arch back toward the firewall not forward. It arches back to clear the top mount on the WRX. But having it arch back should also move it away from the master cylinder. Just swap the brackets to the opposite sides and it should fit just fine as well as clearing everything much better! It should sit very close to the firewall along it's back edge.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Interesting. Sounds like there's a slight difference between the XV and the WRX then. That's good to know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is an ignorant question, but what kind of warranty implications are there in installing a non-approved accessory on a Crosstrek? If you install a strut bar other than the OEM accessory for the Crosstrek, do you void your warranty with respect to suspension repairs? I would imagine there could be some value with respect to keeping the warranty intact by installing an OEM Crosstrek strut bar.

Thanks for the update Calex61 - I didn't even know these existed but am curious to learn more now.

Best,
Stephen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
StephenDM said:
This is an ignorant question, but what kind of warranty implications are there in installing a non-approved accessory on a Crosstrek? If you install a strut bar other than the OEM accessory for the Crosstrek, do you void your warranty with respect to suspension repairs? I would imagine there could be some value with respect to keeping the warranty intact by installing an OEM Crosstrek strut bar.

Thanks for the update Calex61 - I didn't even know these existed but am curious to learn more now.

Best,
Stephen
No problem! and yeah, im actually unsure of that. I didnt even have subaru put it on cause my brother is a mechanic so he just did it for me. I was going to buy it with the car, but the sales rep told me to just buy one thru ebay or another site and save money. Im assuming he wouldnt tell me that if it was going to void the warranty. then again, it is a subaru part. so i am unsure. if that helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no worries man! thats a nice strut bar as well. i was going to buy one that said xv on it and was only 100 bucks as well... but my dad, being the stickler he is with cars, convinced me that i should just buy the subaru one. either way, how do you like that one in terms of handling.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Any OEM accessory will not void a warranty. I've gone into depth on this in a few threads but as far as aftermarket parts go, they only void a warranty if they can be shown to cause the failure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
calex61 said:
no worries man! thats a nice strut bar as well. i was going to buy one that said xv on it and was only 100 bucks as well... but my dad, being the stickler he is with cars, convinced me that i should just buy the subaru one. either way, how do you like that one in terms of handling.
All good my friend. As far as functionality of the "cheap-y," it works great. I've had it on for close to 3k miles. Love it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts