Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I hope they send in the original if purchased. Some online vendors advertise the 15208AA160 but send in the 15208AA15A instead.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the origina black oil Is it possible the black one ismore restrictive?

Wow the black ones, lower photo, have a very different hole patern, 6 vs 10. Is it possible the black one is more restrictive?

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Potentially. Manufacturers don’t switch over parts unless it is a way to save money or it solves an issue. Perhaps Subaru has had oiling issues? Perhaps they’ve had filtering problems? Perhaps they have encountered bad oil flow? An oil filter “brand” is generally covered by one bigger parent company. Likely what happened is subie found a manufacturer to provide the same quality that their engines require, but at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh. Here it is. https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-service-seattle-subaru-oil-filters-explained/

“Subaru changed the exhaust lay out of the header pipe in all of their four cylinder models to resemble the Turbo models and now all of the 4 cylinder models have the exhaust system running very close to the oil filter rather than on the turbo models. So all current production models get the small oil filter as such there is no need for Subaru to keep making available the bigger oil filter even if it would be more beneficial to your 2004 Outback or your 1992 Legacy.”

1)our oil filters are nowhere near the exhaust anymore.
2) we don’t have turbos to worry about oiling.
3) if your really concerned, just change your oil sooner.
These aren’t big problems. The people that started the mass hysteria were turbo subie owners, who’s turbo took an oil starved ****, and then seized, and then fed turbo fins to the cylinders and ate and engine. The hysteria led to the subie community “freaking out”, and the sheeple responded with “well golly, I better get me one of them black filters...”

IMIO- the black is for bonus points when you pop your hood at the track.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
The white Subaru OEM oil filters were made by Purolator. They are pretty much the only aftermarket brand of oil filter who was an OEM and sells an aftermarket oil filter that is identical in specs to the OEM offering.

The black Subaru OEM oil filters are made by Tokyo Roki (not to be confused by one of their competitor oil filter manufacturers, Toyo Roki, who makes certain Honda oil filters). These still continue to be shipped and equipped on many new Subaru vehicles, the 15208AA160 being the one that is usually equipped.

The blue Subaru OEM oil filters used be labeled as Honeywell oil filters with various Subaru markings. With Honeywell selling off their oil filter business, it is essentially a FRAM Extra Guard manufactured to Subaru's specifications. Unlike the Purolator aftermarket oil filter, the FRAM aftermarket oil filter does NOT meet the OEM specs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so now I have the choice of going with the original OEM filter even though it has potentially less flow with fewer holes, although because it's slightly heavier I'm gong to speculate that like other black ones it has great dense filtration.
Maybe it's just the perfect break-in filter?

Who knows maybe the blue one hits the bypass valve more often with greater input?.
By the way the black one seems heavier and I wish I had a scale.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Okay so now I have the choice of going with the original OEM filter even though it has potentially less flow with fewer holes, although because it's slightly heavier I'm gong to speculate that like other black ones it has great dense filtration.
Maybe it's just the perfect break-in filter?

Who knows maybe the blue one hits the bypass valve more often with greater input?.
By the way the black one seems heavier and I wish I had a scale.
Wanna do it right? Cut open both of them. Have a look inside. Smaller holes don’t mean less oil. Smaller holes usually mean more flow at higher pressure. Once again, I implore you, look up the facts and do your research, prior to accepting the conclusions of others.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interestingly both filters are approved.

The black one is OEM, it shipped with the car.

The blue one is the North American dealer service filter.

Both are obviously approved.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the first engine oil/filter change at 1700 KM or 1000 miles.
The Oil came out tea like and afterwards the engine was noticeably quieter.
This leads me to believe that some residue from break-in was removed.
Used the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil in a convenient 4.4 litre jug (the exact amount!).

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Used oil analysis. I've done a handful of them for my Subaru, to get a good idea of how well the engine is wearing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably just going to go with a 5000 km oil and filter change interval.

Mobil 0-20 energy conservation oil.

Black oil filters till they run out. 11+

Always a hot oil change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts