Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I just got my 2016 Crosstrek last night, and already love it. I'm coming from a '02 WRX Wagon with 215/70/16 studded snow tires, so it's a change for me.

I'm starting my research on what I need to do to fit the 215/70/16 tires from my WRX onto the Crosstrek.

My plans are:
Mud Flaps
1" Lift
Possibly 1" Spacers if needed for my 16" wheels
Brush Guard with LIGHTS

'02 WRX Wagon!
[/URL][/IMG]

New '16 Crosstrek!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm new to Subaru so I can't help myself in whether the tires will fit but I'm sure others will chime in. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It may fit but you could have rubbing. Slightly narrower by 0.4" but diameter is 1.11" larger. Not sure a lift of 1" will help. Not a lot of room from front to back in the wheel wells. 215/65/16 would be a better size. GL with the fitment.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Welcome to the club!

What made you switch to the XV from a WRX? The ride height? The higher MPG?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the club!

What made you switch to the XV from a WRX? The ride height? The higher MPG?
I was spending $$$ and time every month on my '02 to keep it happy. Few months ago was rear wheel bearings and hubs. 2 weeks ago the day before a 400 mile trip, the front driver's axle decided to die. Couple weeks before that the thermostat decieded to die... I figured I would rather spend money on a car payment with warranty, than these issues that keep popping up.

I love the ride height, will love it more once I get my 215/70/16 tires on. The MPG is amazing too! I wasn't a fan of the new Forester and Outback. They don't make a WRX Hatch anymore. So I knew it had to be the Crosstrek.

Can't wait to get it lifted. I'm having a great time learning all about my new baby. I've already done the "charcoal filter mod".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... got my 215/70/16 tires on. Damn these fit nice. No rubbing in the rear. The fronts have no rubbing by 1/4" during full turn.

Little louder during driving since the tires are studded, but that doesn't bother me.

Doesn't seem any slower or any more noticeable body roll.

Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Vehicle Car City car Hatchback Supermini

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive design

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congrads on your new ride! :)

Think you made the right move replacing your WRX. Since it was 13 years old I'm guess you had high mileage on it too. Even very dependable vehicles have wear and tear. So things start to need replaced at that point.

Just curious to hear your opinions on the performance coming from a WRX. The "professional" car critic often complain of lack of power in these cars. Many of us disagree, especially after removing the carbon filter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can't speak for Delux but coming from my 03 WRX, the power drop off is very hard to get over even a year later. I often check AutoTrader too see if I could trade the XV in on a used 2014 WRX wagon.

Then I remind myself that my monthly fuel cost savings were nearly 50% of my new car payment back in Aug of 2014. I think about how much of a PITA it was to get in and out of everyday. I think about how many times I bottomed out the in the WRX. The lack of heated seats. No moonroof. No Bluetooth. The rust.... ugh the rust all the time new rust.

But dat turbo... it was intoxicating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I came from a 2005 LGT and the lack of power really does suck, but like Schonuff said, fuel savings is definitely worth it. I still have my LGT and I plan to rebuild, so every once in a while I will be able to drive a fast car again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually don't feel THAT much of a power difference between my '02 WRX and my '16 Crosstrek. I've taken the charcoal filter out and that pepped it up a little.

I've been lifted with 28" tires on my wrx for over a year, so I don't remember what it was like stock, lol. It has 226k miles so the dealer didn't want it.

I have motorcycles for my speed need.

When I was shopping I found a '11 STI Hatchback with 78k miles for $26.5k and a '14 WRX Hatchback base with 14k miles for $27.9k... my '16 Crosstrek with CVT and moonroof was $23.3k. I was sure that the STI had been beaten on. The dealer with the WRX was being mean. My dealer was awesome to me. Bought my crosstrek on Christmas Eve. Drove it home at 9:00 pm.

I REALLY wanted a new WRX, but the costs really outweighed the benefits. I love my heated seats. The CVT is awesome for traffic. My dog has tons more room to stand up. Interior is beautiful. Doesn't seem that slow. I've still had it over 100. It does spirited driving just fine for my wants and needs. I may turbo it when the warranty is up ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm really waiting until after 1,000 miles to really get on it. I haven't even hit 5k rpms yet. But I can definitely tell that it has half the power of my LGT. lol
You might want to check your break-in instructions, pretty sure you're NOT supposed to go above 4K RPM until after 1,000 miles. I drove mine like a little old lady until after 1,000 miles just to ensure a good break-in... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might want to check your break-in instructions, pretty sure you're NOT supposed to go above 4K RPM until after 1,000 miles. I drove mine like a little old lady until after 1,000 miles just to ensure a good break-in... :rolleyes:
I drove really nice until 600-700ish. Then I started to get antsy.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
With the way things are going, I'm presuming skid plates are coming soon?

And if/when you do get your Crosstrek dirty, please do share some photos!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the way things are going, I'm presuming skid plates are coming soon?

And if/when you do get your Crosstrek dirty, please do share some photos!
Oh yes... Skid plates are definitely in the foreseeable future. Mountains are getting snow right now, been out playing and driving all around in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy,

I just got my 2016 Crosstrek last night, and already love it. I'm coming from a '02 WRX Wagon with 215/70/16 studded snow tires, so it's a change for me.

I'm starting my research on what I need to do to fit the 215/70/16 tires from my WRX onto the Crosstrek.

My plans are:
Mud Flaps
1" Lift
Possibly 1" Spacers if needed for my 16" wheels
Brush Guard with LIGHTS

'02 WRX Wagon!
[/URL][/IMG]

New '16 Crosstrek!
Great service, quality job. Came on time. Very happy with the finished product, it was well above my expectations. Very easy and convenient that they come to you. Thanks so much yourdetail for such a great service.
www.yourdetail.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts