Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised it's taken Subaru this long to get on the hybrid train, being such a green company and all.

Guess we'll have to add a hybrid section to the forum!

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ICE-electric hybrids tend to benefit most in urban areas *cough* LA and SF Bay Area *cough*

If one does a lot of freeway driving, an ICE-electric hybrid isn't of much benefit. Stop-and-go traffic is where these ICE-electric hybrids shine.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ICE-electric hybrids tend to benefit most in urban areas *cough* LA and SF Bay Area *cough*

If one does a lot of freeway driving, an ICE-electric hybrid isn't of much benefit. Stop-and-go traffic is where these ICE-electric hybrids shine.
A co-worker of mine bought a new Lexus RX400h hybrid. It cost her $4000 more, and its not paying off for her. She, like me, does lots of freeway and very little city. She's averaging about 2mpg combined more than her last vehicle, which was the Lexus RX400. Couple the worse-than-expected gas mileage with higher maintenance costs, and she wishes she just got the standard gasoline.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Y'all hit it on the head. Most Americans live in suburbia and commute on freeways, ect. The benefit isn't really there. I had a buddy that lived in the DFW area and commuted on the freeways. He was 'surprised' when his hybrid didn't really outperform is previous car all that much.

So as you said...LA, SF, NYC....niche market? And why a Crosstrek then? Much need for a AWD vehicle there?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
contrail_25 said:
So as you said...LA, SF, NYC....niche market? And why a Crosstrek then? Much need for a AWD vehicle there?
Hey now, I live in LA and take offense to that! Have you seen our potholes and road conditions!? ;)
These days, "normal" California road conditions involve crumbling pavement, puzzle-pieced roadways, and deteriorated tarmac.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm all for Skittles...the wilder the better.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So I was reading about this hybrid version. They say it has the same engine (the 2.0 gas engine) with a 13.8 volt electric motor in the CVT transmission. The average mileage would be 31 miles compared to what they say the 29 average mileage from the non-hybrid version(What we currently have).

The green color is different, I like my orange color better. I guess Subaru could ultimately say: "Yes, we have a hybid model too."

No real benefits to it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have to wait and see. The system is weak sauce to say the least but there could be a few advantages. With 48 ft/lbs more torque at very low rpms the 0-30 time and thus the 0-60 time SHOULD be significantly better. (Electric motors have all of their torque available from 1rpm.) But it's going to depend on how efficiently the two motors work together. In theory the hybrid Crosstrek should have 161 hp and 193 ft/lbs with better low and mid-range power.

Though I would have liked to have see the horsepower go up by a percentage of horsepower, greater than the weight went up by a percentage of weight. (Horsepower went up by about 8% and weight by about 9%.)

Hopefully by the time you see a few reviews of the car, you'll stop thinking about this hybrid system like a Prius hybrid and more like a poor person's Q5, Touareg, or Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, where the hybrid system is more like a substitute for a turbo that gives a slight rise in both power and fuel economy. Though we'll have to see some reviews first.

There are a couple of funny things about it though... Like the battery spec, I've seen it listed as 13.5 kilowatts and 13.5 kilowatt hours. And neither make any sense. 13.5 kilowatts isn't a battery spec and 13.5 kilowatt hours is enormous. (A prius hybrid is 1.4 kilowatt hours and a prius plugin is 4.4.) I'm guessing that there was decimal point error and it's 1.35 kilowatt hours but even that seems large.

Anyway, I for one am looking forward to seeing a few reviews on it. I'm looking for something to replace my MINI. And the current version is just to slow for me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Speaking of a mini, I just replaced a power steering pump on an '04 Mini.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised it's taken Subaru this long to get on the hybrid train, being such a green company and all.

Guess we'll have to add a hybrid section to the forum!

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2
I am surprised that Subaru hasn't sold their diesel engines here in the US. That's where the true gas mileage comes from.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing if there are any parts we could transfer over to our models on the exterior.

I haven't seen anything yet on the 2014 non-hybrid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
bdrex28 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing if there are any parts we could transfer over to our models on the exterior.

I haven't seen anything yet on the 2014 non-hybrid.
my guess is the 2014 non-hybrid won't be any different.
i thought about waiting around to see more about the hybrid before i bought my crosstrek, but then read the fuel economy improvement is practically non-existent. decided i wouldn't want to spend several grand more for no pay off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts