Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first rattle during a 1,000 mile road trip this weekend. This one only occurs on certain surfaces - like the rough backroads in West Texas that we were on. It's really annoying and sounded almost like static. My first thought was that there was a wiring issue with the Tweeter. However, I had my girlfriend place her hand on the grille while we were driving and with a little pressure the sound went away.

I pulled over and popped off the grille using the Kroger card on my key ring. They're really easy to pop off by the way. Reseating the grille didn't work so I stopped again and broke off the ends of a cue-tip and wedged it between the pillar and the grille. This extra bit of pressure kept it firmly in place for a few hundred miles and the rattle went away. Eventually the stick wiggled loose so a more permanent fix will be required. I think placing a small piece of foam, just thick enough to put a small amount of tension on the grille, will be enough to resolve it. I just orded the Kicker tweeter and I'm going to try this mod when I install them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sounds like some of us are starting to experience some rattles. I just responded to Kyakdvl's post about A pillar rattles. Hope yours is easily solved. I really abhor shakes, rattles and unexplained noises. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
im willing to bet this is the same thing i have. i was thinking tweeter too. I'm turning on notifications for this one 8)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Good idea. Me too. Never used "notify" before. Didn't even know it existed until you made mention. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my XV last week and am already noticing a consistent tick, tick, tick rattle around the driver side speaker grille area as I go over bumps and rough pavement. Pressure on the speaker grille seems to stop it. Sounds a bit like a small ball bearing rattling around. I'm planning to take it in to the dealer for analysis and hopefully quick resolution, but I know others have had similar distracting rattles. I've seen some folks mention rattles around the A-pillar/window shield, etc... and also dealers perhaps knowing that there's a frequent rattle issue in this speaker grille area (I don't have any confirmation of this - just reading other threads and forums).

Question... Does anybody know if there's a known common root-cause to front dash/speaker grille area rattles (via documentation or conversation with Service Mgrs)? Something like a specific wire harness that's not secured well or a screw that tends to get loose? I'm trying to make my attempts to solve it, and my discussions with the dealer as objective and targeted as possible.

Thanks. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
820 Posts
As you see, I had A pillar problemos. I don't see it here but I know someone had posted a removal of the plastic along the back side-application of some type of fabric- then put the pillar back on. This was done at the dealer level. Evidently it was a known problem for Foresters...I want to say....2007-08 timeframe. Doesn't sound as if this is your dilemma though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interestingly enough, after hearing the dashboard rattle all weekend, it was very misty and humid this morning and I did not hear the usual "static sounding" rattle by my driver's side dash speaker grille.
Perhaps whatever material is rattling around expanded with the humid weather. (Note - the actual speakers themselves are working fine).

I have an appt this week to take the car in to have the dealer check it out... It's a mixed blessing, but we will have to see if the rattle will be there when the service tech checks it out. We shall see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts