Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louisiana doesn't require a front license plate, so today I got the urge to take off the dealer plate and see what the front bumper actually looked like. To my surprise, instead of using the factory mounting holes, my dealer simply screwed two screws into the front bumper...

Close up:

I was pretty upset about this and was about to give an angry call to my dealer about getting a new front bumper, then I started looking around for a quick fix. I found a couple of these nylon hole plugs (or covers) at a local hardware store and decided to give them a try.

I didn't know which size to get so I got the 1/4" and the 5/16" ones. The 1/4" was perfect, but to install I needed to drill out the existing hole to the proper size. To my luck, the 5/16' plugs fit the factory license plate holes so I covered those as well.

Here's what it looked like with all 4 plugs in:

Close up after cleaning and a coat of wax:

Didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but at least it looks a little better. I'm going to see if I can order a factory license plate bracket or something that looks nice to cover up the holes and accent the front.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I noticed the extra holes on mine, too ... apparently the factory holes on the front bumper aren't spaced for US-standard plates, which is a little annoying.

I've added the OEM front plate bracket, which is black and looks pretty nice. A definite improvement over having the plate just screwed into the bumper, anyway ...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the OEM front plate use the factory bumper holes and do you have a picture of it by chance?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I noticed that also... My dealer didn't put a mounting bracket either so my plate has rubbed two holes in the paint in my bumper. Pretty unsatisfied with this. Subaru of America needs to step it up with an INCLUDED OEM plate mount. I don't understand why your Louisiana dealer drilled holes when you don't have to use a front plate.... We have to have them on in Texas :mad:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Turkeytoe said:
Does the OEM front plate use the factory bumper holes and do you have a picture of it by chance?
Nope, the Subaru plate mount still just screws into the bumper.

I think a lot of dealers are choosing to put a plate on the front to cover the two holes in the bumper, they are spaced wider than the US plate mounting points but they may be right for non US plates. I don't think this was the intention though considering there's no easy way to put a nut on the backside of a bolt if you wanted to use those holes to mount anything. My guess is they're probably a part of the mold/production process of the bumper.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys!

HaydenATX said:
I noticed that also... My dealer didn't put a mounting bracket either so my plate has rubbed two holes in the paint in my bumper. Pretty unsatisfied with this. Subaru of America needs to step it up with an INCLUDED OEM plate mount. I don't understand why your Louisiana dealer drilled holes when you don't have to use a front plate.... We have to have them on in Texas :mad:
I purchased the car in Texas, so that's why there's a plate on the front. I noticed mine was starting the scuff the clear coat on the edges so that's another reason I wanted to take it off. There were a few light scratches, but a quick buff and wax took care of them.

Wingnut said:
You could always throw a unibar on there. It will cover and use the holes.

http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,1384.msg15486.html#msg15486
Definitely looks cool! I'll have to look into the unibar...

I'll leave it like it is for now and see if anyone notices before I buy more stuff, lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AlexAlejan said:
Not an ideal situation with all the holes, but I like your fix! Very clever, and doesnt look to bad!
Thanks! I may take them out and try to paint them with some touch up paint so they don't stand out as much. Just gotta find the right orange first lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whoa, that's messed up on the dealer's part! I bought my XV in Ohio (don't require front plates), but reside in Maryland (do required front plates). I had the standard two pre-drilled holes. Just bought this plate bracket ( http://www.mycarworx.com/store/XV_Crosstrek_Front_License_Bracket.html ) but have yet to install. We'll see how it fits soon - I'll have to install within the next week as my temporary tags will expire. I also bought a 3.0 bumpshox ( http://www.bumpshox.com/ ). Weekend project! :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Btw, I was looking at my XV tonight, eye-balling my upcoming front license bracket install (required in MD). Where your dealer drilled the holes, I have recessed "dimples." The two outer holes are already pre-drilled. I'll have to punch through those dimples this weekend to install my required front plates. :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The agony of drilling into a new vehicle... I don't see how those guys can muster the courage to drill and install the spoiler. I about cried just smoothing out the rough holes the dealer made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Funny, I will add new life to an old post. Years ago, I bought a new '05 forester. I did not even think about the dealer display plate on the front, since my state (NY) used a front plate and the dealer location (Vt) did not. So, a few years go by, I buy another new forester ('09), I was happy that the Vt dealer did not put a plate on the front (I did ask them not too), but they had an ugly display logo on the back of the car. I voiced my displeasure and that they should pay me or give me credit for advertising.... Back in '17, we bought a new CRV. I voiced my concern up front about garrish dealership logos, etc. The only dealership info is the rear license plate holder. That I could live with. Last week I bought a 'Crosstrek. It is used. has about 12K on it. I am miffed that the front bumper has not only the factory plate holes, but also 2 extra holes that the dealer put on for their front display plate (here in PA, they only use rear plates). Sadly, the dealer also puts a log on the back. I hate this crap so much. Now looking to put on some of those white vinyl plugs on the front bumper. Fingers crossed it looks decent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts