Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

For a Crosstrek specific skid plate would you rather have the plate tuck behind the bumper or wrap u

• Leading Edge In Front Of The Bumper

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with a local fabricator we are planning on measuring and designing a Crosstrek specific front plate. We are trying to decide between two options for the front of the plate.

Option one is to have the plate mount so the leading edge is behind the bumper like this:

The second option is to have the leading edge cover the lower lip of the front bumper. Something like this:

Obviously that's not a Subaru but you get the idea. The leading edge will either cover the bumper a bit or be behind it. Just looking for some feedback on this one!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I say behind the bumper. For those who want to do more modifications to the front, having the skidplate stick out the front might be an issue. Also, the plastic cladding would probably ensure no paint damage would occur.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vote for it! I'm very on the fence, that front plastic is very light weight so the plate would ad some solid protection from serious bumper damage. It's not the paint I'm worried about :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
After going off-roading with my husband in his Tacoma, I vote for it in front of the bumper. I could only imagine the damage that would have happened to his truck if it was behind the bumper.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uh oh! how and where did you brake the bumper? Could you possibly upload a picture? I'd like to see where it failed and how to protect it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Uh oh! how and where did you brake the bumper? Could you possibly upload a picture? I'd like to see where it failed and how to protect it.
Here is the damage...

http://i.imgur.com/iP6vbgo.jpeg

What happened was I was driving through an ORV park intending to stay on the slightly rutted tracks. I ended up going though some frozen over puddles that had deeper ruts and large chunks of broken ice in them that I could hear hitting the under side a bit; I think this damaged the plastic skid plate. I eventually accidentally drove into a ~2 foot deep puddle and broke through some ice, that is what likely caused the damage you see here.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In front/over the bumper seems like cladding found elsewhere in the design. I vote for that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I voted - In front. Now add a flame thrower mount please. 8)

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you fab up a front 'push bar' so speak.... that would be tied into the frame underneath and through the bottom portion of the bumper. Use THAT as your support for the skid and bolt the skid underneath, hidden behind the bumper, flush with the bar supports.

Can you picture it?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly what we are thinking for the plate/bar combo. However for just the plate wrapping up over the bumper will provide similar protection as the bar without actually having the bar.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I hear ya.... But still think behind the bumper...and fab the bar if someone is worried about their bumper. I off road my jeep weekly and have skids and armor where it counts.. Protection to vital components is key. I'm not worried about plastic being damaged as much as puncturing an oil pan.

I do understand where you are coming from...but you asked for opinions and gave you mine. Either way its a great idea!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For sure! That's why the poll is here. Trying to see what most people are interested in before we go off fabricating things half cocked!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted another thread with pictures but we started design today. Having the plate in front of the bumper turned out to be not so feasible. The would have required a HUGE spacer in the front to drop the plate under the bumper and the leading edge would have needed some serious support to be strong enough to take a hit. Check out the thread in the off road section to see the initial design!

·
Registered
74 Posts
That makes sense with the amount of overhang these bumpers have, that's why I really like that Aussie bumper replacement. Did you get a chance to see my edited post with my bumper damage pic?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I did. Thank you for posting that. We did try to get the coverage but it just wasn't really going to work without serious fab and the plate would have been quite a bit heavier. It would have had much larger spacers and probably needed gussets for strength. Hopefully as we move forward with the light bar we will find a good way to protect the bumper!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.