Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I accelerate from a stop with the steering wheel turned I'm getting a rumble that I can feel through the wheel and gas pedal and it has a kinda deep throaty sound. This doesn't happen at all when the wheel is straight or even close to straight, only with the wheel turned a significant amount. In all of my old 4WD rigs this would happen if the front hubs were locked but that was expected, it was called chunking or something similar, but I've never experienced this with any of my Subarus. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be getting worse as the miles build, wasn't noticeable at all when new but after 11,500 miles it happens almost all the time now.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
gravitylover said:
If I accelerate from a stop with the steering wheel turned I'm getting a rumble that I can feel through the wheel and gas pedal and it has a kinda deep throaty sound. This doesn't happen at all when the wheel is straight or even close to straight, only with the wheel turned a significant amount. In all of my old 4WD rigs this would happen if the front hubs were locked but that was expected, it was called chunking or something similar, but I've never experienced this with any of my Subarus. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be getting worse as the miles build, wasn't noticeable at all when new but after 11,500 miles it happens almost all the time now.
Someone else with my problem! I never posted it on the forum but I am actually taking my Crosstrek into Subaru tomorrow (Friday) morning for the exact same reason. I had it in before and told them about it and they said they drove it and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I am taking it back tomorrow for a drive-along to make sure they know what I am talking about.

I will report back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad I got the extended warranty. Hearing this makes me nervous.
No probs. yet with mine other than the drivers window makes a hell of a noise.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
At Subaru now. I told them about the problem and they immediately said they've seen it before. We did a ride–along anyways to reproduce the vibration and were successful. They did a thorough check of the car, as well as test drove other new Subarus (where they got the same results) and they assured me it is a normal occurrence. I was told that it is just a natural resistance that can sometimes happen in full–lock with the new fully electronic power steering system in the Crosstrek.

Hopefully they are right, but at least I have it on record in case it turns into a bigger issue, but I am optimistic with their analysis.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thank goodness condition was able to be reproduced at dealer....I have a growl/rattle that is only there occasionally- never at service dept. of course! I'd want to trust what the dealer is saying by nature but still keep a furrowed brow ??? just in case! Throw some of that "I'm the Crosstrek forum administrator" weight around if need be! Lol!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You know how you would never notice something until you have a direct connection with it, then "all of the sudden" you notice it everywhere? Well, that kind of happened with the rumbling issue I was having with the Crosstrek.

I was with some friends tonight for dinner and they wanted to go out to bars afterwards, but I am exhausted from last night so decided to go home. One of my friends is just in town visiting and she had rented a new (2012+) Impala for her time here. Since she had driven us to dinner, but didn't want to leave the car anywhere, I offered to drop them off at the bar and then take the car back and they could get a cab later.

None of that is important, just a long way of saying that I drove the Impala for a little bit tonight and got the EXACT same rumbling/vibration through the wheel/pedal as I do with my Crosstrek in full lock. It made me feel better knowing that it happens in other cars and must be something they haven't quite worked out with full-electric power steering.

On a side note, I HATED the Impala. Uncomfortable seats, confusing dash controls, cheap feeling, small, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that helps make me feel better ;) It's weird though, I hadn't thought of it as a steering issue but more of a drivetrain thing. I'm making a list of things for Subaru to take a look at when I bring the car in for the second oil change in two or three weeks, this will be one of them.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
gravitylover said:
Well that helps make me feel better ;) It's weird though, I hadn't thought of it as a steering issue but more of a drivetrain thing. I'm making a list of things for Subaru to take a look at when I bring the car in for the second oil change in two or three weeks, this will be one of them.
Yes, definitely still ask them about it. If it ever turns up to be something bigger we will then have record of it early on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to reply to part of the above, it's not only at full lock, this rumble or whatever happens with the wheel turned as little as 10% and anything other than the lightest throttle input.

Had the car in this morning and the "resolution" of the issue is - Transfer clutches. Apparently there is a clutch pack that redistributes power to the front wheels so they can spin at different speeds when they're turned. These clutches engage and disengage based on slip thus causing a vibration that you feel in the steering wheel and sometimes in the pedals. The service mgr. said this is usually more evident in the Outback but not unheard of in the Impreza with the cvt.

They also said the avg. mpg gauge can't be reprogrammed and that it is an estimate not an exact science. Implied was - Live with it... I know some people on other forums have had theirs reprogrammed, anybody know how? Part number or maybe there's a tech on here that can explain how to access it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
gravitylover said:
I forgot to reply to part of the above, it's not only at full lock, this rumble or whatever happens with the wheel turned as little as 10% and anything other than the lightest throttle input.

Had the car in this morning and the "resolution" of the issue is - Transfer clutches. Apparently there is a clutch pack that redistributes power to the front wheels so they can spin at different speeds when they're turned. These clutches engage and disengage based on slip thus causing a vibration that you feel in the steering wheel and sometimes in the pedals. The service mgr. said this is usually more evident in the Outback but not unheard of in the Impreza with the cvt.

They also said the avg. mpg gauge can't be reprogrammed and that it is an estimate not an exact science. Implied was - Live with it... I know some people on other forums have had theirs reprogrammed, anybody know how? Part number or maybe there's a tech on here that can explain how to access it.
Interesting...two different causes from two different dealers. At least both are saying it is a normal occurrence, but it's strange they are saying different reasons. My dealer did drive a brand new Crosstrek for comparison and got the same results, so I think it's ok.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sold on their reply. It really does seem to me that the rumble is getting worse, maybe I'm just more attuned to it but... I think I need to stop at another Subie dealer and have a tech take the car for a test ride and see what the answer is. I keep wondering if I should just fork over the $300 for a tranny fluid and filter flush and refill if that would solve the problem then try to figure out how to make Subaru pay.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to be getting worse, if anything I notice it less. However, I am not quite sure if I believe them either. I am glad I am on record for reporting it early on so if it turns out to be something worse they will hopefully cover it.

Let us know if you do end up fixing it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Try turning off the active handling and then see if it does that rumble thing

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ So the rumble has been getting "worse." Now it does it with the wheel hardly turned at all, sometimes even when it's pointed straight and accelerating uphill from a stop. I've tried it a few times with the traction/spin control off and it doesn't do it at all. Time for the fourth oil change anyway so, off to the dealer it goes on Tuesday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been having this same issue and began at around 10k miles. Started out when turning, now the vibration happens both when turning and straight. Sometimes it's really bad. It's so strange in that it is so sporadic-dry pavement, wet, snowy, bumpy roads and smooth. And it is not consistent, i'll go a day or two with it not happening at all, then will "flare up" again. Had the dealer look at it, of course could not reproduce the problem. Service writer had not heard of this before. Next step, I suppose, is to do a ride along but if others are being told it's normal, what is the point? This is driving me crazy! I love my Crosstrek (my 5th Subaru) but this is something I don't think I can get used to. This can't be normal. No car is perfect and there are imperfections I can accept but I don't know about this. So frustrated right now! Advice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been getting the same but I thought it was the engine sputtering. The first few times wasn't that noticable but last night when I backed out of a parking space, turned wheel and gave it gas it seemed way more present. Kinda bucked a bit (cvt btw).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went to dealer today to see what they could come up with for a diagnosis. Tech went for a ride, couldn't reproduce. Then went with the tech and couldn't reproduce either but he asked if I noticed it pulling to the right at all. I really didn't since I was so focused on the vibration. Turns out it was out of alignment and pretty significantly as well. So far, the vibration is gone or almost gone. Feel a little vibration but barely noticeable. The vibration is what I would consider "normal". Put about 40 miles on it today and it is much better. The alignment was covered under warranty (get the first one for free)

Since my last Subaru didn't need an alignment until about 75k, I never thought this could be causing or at least contributing to the issue. Hoping this takes care of the vibration.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone think that these vibrations and alignment problem is why SOA issued this TSB?

2014 Subaru Xv Crosstrek structure body TSB (Bulletin TSB-05-57-14)

Bulletin Date: Feb. 20, 2014
Component: Structure body
Bulletin Summary: Subaru: a change has been made to the mounting bolts used for securing the front cross member to the vehicle body. The thickness of the flange at the base of the bolt's hex has increased to 5mm. Also included Subaru sti/brz model year 2014.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2014 Subaru Forester, 2014 Subaru Impreza, 2014 Subaru WRX, 2014 Subaru Xv Crosstrek

1 - 20 of 23 Posts