Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - This topic is mainly for future Crosstrek models. I believe the next refresh is 2023.

So, in a few years or so, I plan to replace my 2015 Crosstrek w/ limited trim. It's my hope, Subaru will offer a trim package with a turbo engine, better axel, brakes and CVT. Thus, increasing maximum towing capacity. The current 1500 lbs just doesn't muster

I would love to rent a compact or mini camper once or twice a year. Though, I see many are of 1800 lbs or more.

What improvements are needed for a future Crosstrek model with 2700 lbs capacity? Would I or others be forced into a Forrester or Outback?

P.S. I like the Crosstrek for many reasons, but especially for its style and non-wagon feel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really think all the Crosstrek ”needs” to meet your towing wish of 2700# is a transmission cooler. The present 2.5L offered in the Sport and Limited trims is completely adequate, IMHO.

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ColoRider, thanks for the input. I would not have guessed a transmission cooler. Though, I did hear the CVT would over heat with higher load.

I've seen others report higher maximums in other countries, (I.e. Australia). I always wondered the difference. And, I find it interesting Forester's has the same weight limit. I suppose both models use the same CVT with a built in cooler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi - This topic is mainly for future Crosstrek models. I believe the next refresh is 2023.

So, in a few years or so, I plan to replace my 2015 Crosstrek w/ limited trim. It's my hope, Subaru will offer a trim package with a turbo engine, better axel, brakes and CVT. Thus, increasing maximum towing capacity. The current 1500 lbs just doesn't muster

I would love to rent a compact or mini camper once or twice a year. Though, I see many are of 1800 lbs or more.

What improvements are needed for a future Crosstrek model with 2700 lbs capacity? Would I or others be forced into a Forrester or Outback?

P.S. I like the Crosstrek for many reasons, but especially for its style and non-wagon feel.
I have an 18 Limited, and I won't be getting one in the future models because the engine displacements are going smaller. They are going to be 1.5 litre with a turbo, and another engine size, maybe smaller not sure yet. They might be able to tow more then the 2.0 but that will make them less reliable. I'm going back to a V6 non turbo. Turbos and superchargers put a lot less stress on the engine. I'm getting older, and I am going to get something that will be more reliable in general, and I will keep it for at least 10 years. Going to get a used Lexus RX with the current V6. As my Crosstrek, I like it but wish it had automatically locking locks when you put it in gear, and also memory seats. I had an SRH headlight problem which in turn shuts off the one headlight. I was a few months out of my warranty, and Subaru refused to cover. The whole entire headlight assembly had to be replaced at a cost of $1,437. Months of going back and forth with them, they finally agreed to give me a $1000 service coupon which was great but I will had to pay over $500 to get my headlight fixed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an 18 Limited, and I won't be getting one in the future models because the engine displacements are going smaller. They are going to be 1.5 litre with a turbo, and another engine size, maybe smaller not sure yet. They might be able to tow more then the 2.0 but that will make them less reliable. I'm going back to a V6 non turbo. Turbos and superchargers put a lot more stress on the engine. I'm getting older, and I am going to get something that will be more reliable in general, and I will keep it for at least 10 years. Going to get a used Lexus RX with the current V6. As my Crosstrek, I like it but wish it had automatically locking locks when you put it in gear, and also memory seats. I had an SRH headlight problem which in turn shuts off the one headlight. I was a few months out of my warranty, and Subaru refused to cover. The whole entire headlight assembly had to be replaced at a cost of $1,437. Months of going back and forth with them, they finally agreed to give me a $1000 service coupon which was great but I will had to pay over $500 to get my headlight fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts