Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This only happens when cold or when parked for several hours. Doesn't do it every time. Maybe 1 out of 10x. I sometimes double clutch as a preventitave measure. I only drive manuals and have for decades so I don't think it's me. Is this a Subaru MT thing? This is my first (Subaru) and I ve never had this happen on another brand except on the rarest of occasions. I'd be interested to hear from members who have had previous Subarus with MT or, of course, those with same "issue". Not sure if it really is a issue yet. XV is on flat concrete when this occurs. I might add though, the hill start assist is fantastic for the hills. Whoever invented that-genius.

UPDATE: so after searching NASIOC site. Seems like its a fairly common, known about characteristic of Subaru manual T s. I ll still mention to dealer at some point, maybe at 15,000 mile service.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've gotten the occasional gear grind when reversing with most of my cars. I never stopped to think about it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sancho said:
I've gotten the occasional gear grind when reversing with most of my cars. I never stopped to think about it.
Really? This stood out to me. It wasn't so much a conscious effort to listen for a slight grind as it was a "hey, that s pretty loud!" But like I mentioned, seems fairly common so I m not particularly concerned after seeing other post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an automatic now, but I used to have a 1992 Mazda Miata bought new. I belonged to the Miata Club of America and there were no internet forums back then, but we had a monthly magazine. The reverse crunch seemed fairly common among owners, particularly when the engine is cold.

Let's face it, you mosly use the reverse gear when the engine is cold, so it seems like it is happening all the time. Mazda said it was nothing to worry about. True enough, when the engine warmed, the crunch disappeared. I had the car for 7 years and never had any problem with it and I guess I just got used to the crunch.

I also have a 2004 Scion xB stick, and there is a 2nd gear crunch when the engine is cold. Again, it disappears after the engine warms up. I've never consulted a mechanic or the dealership about this and the car has never seen a mechanic to this day except for oil changes.

I hope your Crosstrek crunch turns out to be nothing but just another harmless kink.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I m guessing it will most likely be harmless. I read on another site to put stick up into 5th before going straight down to reverse. I did that today and it worked every time. Eh, I m not really worried, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what everyone thought.

Do you like the 2014 Miata redesign? I ve always been a big fan and its on my bucket list of "must own" cars. I rented one out on Orcas Island a few years back while on vacation with the Mrs. and it was a blast. My number one manual transmission of all time though goes to a 2008 Honda Civic Si. That throw was perfect, imo. I only kept it a couple of years- some many cars, so little time I guess!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure yet what to think of the 2014 Miata. It looks big(ger), almost trying to emulate the BMW roadsters. It's 400 pounds heavier than when I first bought one. I don't understand the urge to keep on getting bigger and bigger. If the Crosstrek is still around in 20 years, will it be the size of the Outback by then?

But you're right, so many cars, so little time. I have a principle that I will not repeat cars in my lifetime and I will try as many kinds as I can, and I am very pleased that I can scratch Subaru from that list.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am soooo in agreement with that......gotta try as many as possible right?! Then when, I'm 70, I ll know exactly what I ll want- Maybe! My friends and neighbors think I m crazy for changing so many times but I chalk that up to them not really loving the automobile as I do. As for Subaru, I almost went with a WRX model for the performance aspect. In the end I settled for mpg and I'm very glad I did considering where gas is/may be going$$$$

1 - 7 of 7 Posts