Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knowledgeable on these "performance chips"? Do they work, are they just a gimmick, would they even work on the Crosstrek?

http://www.gfchips.com/subaruimpreza.aspx

Seems almost too good to be true. I've never used anything like these on any other cars, but the idea of hooking one up and gaining the extra hp and mpg is pretty tempting for $69. But that price also makes me think they are garbage.

Any advice or info is appreciated!

·
Registered
714 Posts
After talking with some very well respected local tuners it seems like there is not much performance to be gained from these motors safely. The key word there is safely, I'm sure those chips could advance timing and lean in out to make a couple horses but I wouldn't risk it. Keep in mind that WILL void your warranty as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, yes that's a good point. I'm definitely not looking to void the warranty, or potentially ruin the engine.

I really love the feel of the Crosstrek currently and have no problem with the power, but I was thinking if it was a quick, easy way to boost it a little, I'd try it. But like you said, safely gaining performance just isn't something you can do with these engines, and that's fine.

Thank you for the quick reply!

·
Registered
79 Posts
From a well respected Subaru tuner ......"...its a 50 cent resistor wired into the intake air temp sensor to trick the car to run lean. Its a good way to empty your wallet, but it won't do much for the car."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good said:
From a well respected Subaru tuner ......"...its a 50 cent resistor wired into the intake air temp sensor to trick the car to run lean. Its a good way to empty your wallet, but it won't do much for the car."
Wow! Yeah, that's definitely a sham. Thank you for passing that along! And here I thought $69 was a decent deal for such a contraption..

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is usually all those chips do. Occasionally they're a touch more complicated but it still brakes down to leaning the car out for power... :-\

1 - 6 of 6 Posts