Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general rule of thumb is to forego the extended warranty, but I got the Gold Plus 5-yr 60,000 mile with $100 deductible because (1) this is the first year the Crosstrek is on the market so I thought I might error on the safe side and (2) I can cancel within a certain period. Any opinions on if I should keep it or cancel? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
crosstrek_mn said:
I know the general rule of thumb is to forego the extended warranty, but I got the Gold Plus 5-yr 60,000 mile with $100 deductible because (1) this is the first year the Crosstrek is on the market so I thought I might error on the safe side and (2) I can cancel within a certain period. Any opinions on if I should keep it or cancel? Thanks!
I remember my dealer offering this to me, but I declined. If I may ask, what is the cost of the extended warranty?

On a related note, I honestly don't know why Subaru doesn't include a 60k mile warranty to begin with. The Crosstrek is my third Subaru and, from experience, they are great, reliable vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
crosstrek_mn said:
I remember my dealer offering this to me, but I declined. If I may ask, what is the cost of the extended warranty?

On a related note, I honestly don't know why Subaru doesn't include a 60k mile warranty to begin with. The Crosstrek is my third Subaru and, from experience, they are great, reliable vehicles.
Maybe its because Subaru drivers tend to get VERY adventurous ;D

If I were the chief president of a company that made vehicles that often see off-pavement use and such, I would do the same and keep it short so that the company could actually manage to profit.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
crosstrek_mn said:

Maybe its because Subaru drivers tend to get VERY adventurous ;D

If I were the chief president of a company that made vehicles that often see off-pavement use and such, I would do the same and keep it short so that the company could actually manage to profit.
On one hand I agree, on the other I still feel like they may sell better (thus acquiring more profit) if they offered a more competitive warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it down to $695 (originally double the price) so I figure it's not exorbitant and may just keep it. Still undecided.

ClubCrosstrek said:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
crosstrek_mn said:
I got it down to $695 (originally double the price) so I figure it's not exorbitant and may just keep it. Still undecided.

ClubCrosstrek said:

The $695 is a one-time fee? Doesn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I opted to purchase the Gold Plan too. My Subie's have always been reliable. But I remember my 2006 WRX had a bad rear differential. The cost of the part was about $350 but labor was $1100. It was covered under warranty, so I had no out of pocket loss. For me, I'm no wrencher (other than the basic oil change, air filter) so if something breaks I get peace of mind knowing that Subaru has it covered. Plus everything will remain stock so it's not like they can blame the aftermarket stuff.

I think it comes down to personal feelings. I know my brother in law who can wrench would never get it since he can fix just about any car but like I said, I can't so I buy $1,000 peace of mind.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We paid $1395 for the 7yr/100k/$0 deductible Subaru Gold Plus Plan. For us it is peace of mind knowing that for the first seven years of ownership almost everything is covered. Pricey, yes, but again it is the mental reassurance that we are willing to pay for the possible services needed.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The said:
We paid $1395 for the 7yr/100k/$0 deductible Subaru Gold Plus Plan. For us it is peace of mind knowing that for the first seven years of ownership almost everything is covered. Pricey, yes, but again it is the mental reassurance that we are willing to pay for the possible services needed.
It's really not a bad deal if something goes wrong, but the big question that is always looming is "if", and that's what keeps a lot of people from not doing it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just ordered a Crosstrek (TOP, of course), but will be declining the extended warranty. When I bought my 2005 Forester, I got the "Subaru" 7 year/100k (Gold) warranty. The policy had an option that if you never use it you will get a full refund - in this case, $1900. When I hit the 7 year mark (my Forester never had a repair), I went back to my dealer to inquire about my refund. Turns out that although this policy is sold as a genuine Subaru warranty, the refund part is backed by a 3rd party insurance company. When I applied for the refund, I found our the company went bankrupt. I was pissed that the dealer and Subaru never bothered to inform me about the bankruptcy. My dealer basically threw their hands up and said they had no obligation to inform me. I called Subaru corporate and they twisted the arm of the dealer to give me $500. Subaru also gave me $700 because they valued me as a customer. Now I'm very gun-shy about these warranties, although I think they could be a money saver. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm rather skeptical about these warranties as well. They all vary in price/term/mileage and it just never seems like it's worth it. It did cross my mind initially, but when it came down to it, it's a Subaru. I doubt anything terrible will happen to it in the time I have it. However, to my surprise, when I added the vehicle to my policy through Geico they have a warranty for new cars up to 100k miles, with no term limit, but a $250 deductible... it's running me about $80/yr on my premium for now. I guess for piece of mind in the long run I'm just going to keep it on there in case something expensive breaks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got the extended warranty. My son will be driving this in 5 years. I want it to last and want good peace of mind

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's a gamble. The warranty seller is betting the car will have no major problems; the buyer is betting that it will.

We purchased a tire plan when we bought our 03 Forester. Basically, for a modest fee, if we got all our routine maintenance done at the dealership, we got free tires for the life of the vehicle. The dealer went out of business a year later.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Over here, warranty is the responsanbility of the brand/importer. They are obliged by law to offer a two year warranty.
Subaru offers three years, Toyota five. If Subaru offered some kind of warranty extension, I might go for it.
Not all warranties are equal though. Japanese brands usually offer comprehensive warranty that covers everything outside of normal daily wear. VAG group dealers (Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi...) will try everything to get out of their warranty obligations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the 6-year, 80,000 mile with $100 deductible warranty as this is my first Subaru. I did my research and understand that they have a history of being reliable, but I've never owned one so I have no direct experience with the brand until now, I'd rather have the warranty for the peace of mind.

Plus, I was trading in a vehicle (and got came out ahead, yay) and my car payment on it was due within days of the purchase -- well, I don't have to make that payment this month since I no longer own that vehicle, and my first Subaru payment isn't due for 6-weeks, so that also means next month I have no car payment. The price of those two car payments essentially cover the warranty price, so as far as my budget is concerned, I'm right on course.

FYI, you can choose to pay the warranty out in installments over 10 months, or you can pay a flat fee up front, you don't have to finance it (I insisted that it not be rolled into the financing; if they had pushed for that, I would have not gotten the warranty).

·
Registered
15 Posts
From a strictly financial point of view I have never been convinced these offer a good value. Take the money you would put into this extended warranty and set it aside in a decent money market fund. You're statistically likely to cover whatever major repair you'll have in those first 5-7 years with that money set aside. I have done this with my last four cars and the money is still sitting there from all four times. I'm more than ready for any major uncovered work needed and I'm making a little bit in interest.

And when you further consider that you're also risking the warranty holding company going bankrupt or even just fighting any claims you make, it looks like a bad deal all around.

There's no arguing with 'peace of mind' though. It's expensive in the long run though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts