Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to have the transmission serviced this week ($175 was quoted) as to maintain the transmission. I've read/heard that this is good practice to lengthen the life of a transmission.

Thoughts on this? Can of worms or good practicality.

· Registered
25 Posts
To me the quote from the manual explains why the dealership recommended the fluid be changed. I’m glad I had it done because I plan on keeping my 2015. If the cvt or diff fails prematurely after fluid changeout I can say I followed the dealership’s recommendation…

· Registered
8 Posts
If you are planning to keep it a while - I would. All fluids have a useful life. CVT fluid is no exception (regardless of whether subaru claims it's life of vehicle or not).
One thing I will note, when I had mine done, the dealership does not really change all fluid. They dump the fluid in the sump and replace. If I recall, the CVT holds ~7qt. The dealer can dump and replace about 4qt. There is a more elaborate process that can replace all, but that was not what the subaru dealer did.

In a prior job, I did a bunch of warranty teardown inspections on automatic and CVT transmissions. So the opinion to change the fluid is based on what I saw there. That said, subaru has a pretty solid CVT transmission. Some other OEMs have had big issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts