Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my 2015 XV for 2-1/2 weeks now and have put 10,400 miles on it so I thought it was time I introduce myself. I am an independent contract courier that just swapped a 2011 Ford Fiesta with 741,000 miles on it for a new Crosstrek. I needed more cargo room and all wheel drive and the Crosstrek fit the bill. Mama said I could buy a new car if she could have the Fiesta. Needless to say, I drive a little bit and will be wracking up the miles rapidly.
I am also my own mechanic so I look forward to learning a few things here as well as sharing any knowledge and personal experiences I can.
So far this car has performed flawless and I have had no issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Welcome to the club!

HOLY HECK, 741,000 miles?!?! And 10,000 miles already?!?!

Well, you have my 240 mile daily commute beat!

What made you pick the Crosstrek crossover over a conventional ride height vehicle or the rest of its compact crossover competition?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the club!

HOLY HECK, 741,000 miles?!?! And 10,000 miles already?!?!

Well, you have my 240 mile daily commute beat!

What made you pick the Crosstrek crossover over a conventional ride height vehicle or the rest of its compact crossover competition?
There were many factors but ride height was definitely a factor or else I would have probably gone with the Impreza. Last year I hit a jackrabbit and it cost me $2,700 in bodywork. Also, last year was the worst year I have seen for freezing fog so I wanted a vehicle that had a good long history with all wheel drive. Subaru just made sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jeeez....I was freaking out because I have already put almost 10,000 miles on my new XV in about 4 months. You guys all seem to have me beat!

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
My extended warranty lasted be a little bit less than a year on the 60,000 mile plan with my ridiculous commute. I wish I had chosen the longer one, because I had been a bit too naughty with my 5-speed manual Crosstrek.

If you're your own mechanic, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd like to share with you a few suggestions...

1) If this is your first Subaru, rely primarlily on OEM oil filters only, or filters that legitimately meet the OEM specs. There is an abundance of engine oils that meet the specs outlined in the owner's manual, but oil filters that meet Subaru's unusually high bypass valve spec are few.

Some of the ones I know that meet the spec are (but this list is not complete)
  • Subaru blue OEM (manufactured by Honeywell/FRAM)
  • Subaru black OEM (manufactured by Tokyo Roki, highly sought after)
  • Six star brand (Canadian OEM, manufactured by Northeast Imported Parts)
  • Purolator oil filters
  • certain Wix oil filters
  • pink STI (Subaru Tecnica International, prohibitively expensive, used by motorsport teams especially Subaru factory rally and race teams)

2) Monitor your tire pressures religiously. Check them only when cold. Subaru defines cold tires as being driven less than 1 mile and having sat for more than 3 hours.

The owner's manual calls for a monthly checkup. I go a step further and check all four drive tires once a week. I check the spare tire once a month, in line with the owner's manual recommendation.

I go the extra step and ensure the tires are uniformly exposed or shielded from sunlight and the vehicle set at a level surface such as a garage.

The reason why I preach this is because the lack of tire maintenance on my first Subaru resulted in a failing center differential and a driveline that was basically ready for the junkyard. To err on the side of caution considering you too drive an exceptionally high amount of miles per week compared to average commuters, periodically check your tire wear patterns and inspect the suspension alignment angles. A bad alignment can snowball from a slight inconvenience, to unevenly worn tires, to eventual driveline component damage.

Oh, and I'd recommend running the specified tire pressures on your tire placard at the driver doorjamb. If you're adamant on running higher pressures, I'd advise to use the same front-to-rear proportion of pressure as the specified pressures on the placard.

3) If you haven't already (I would be concerned if you don't do this already), do a pre-drive inspection every day before you begin driving to the letter according to the owner's manual, as well as inspections during fuel stops.

For my 5-speed manual 2014 Crosstrek, I put this on my sunvisor's map hold as a reminder:
http://i.imgur.com/6qTdCYq.png

In addition, checking all fluids according to the owner's manual is something that should be done during every fuel up.

Like I said, #3 should be something you're already doing. If not, I'd recommend you get in the habit of doing.

If you too have any suggestions on such preventive maintenance checks and services, I'd like you to share considering I too still have a bit of high mileage mega-commuting to go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My extended warranty lasted be a little bit less than a year on the 60,000 mile plan with my ridiculous commute. I wish I had chosen the longer one, because I had been a bit too naughty with my 5-speed manual Crosstrek.

If you're your own mechanic, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd like to share with you a few suggestions...

1) If this is your first Subaru, rely primarlily on OEM oil filters only, or filters that legitimately meet the OEM specs. There is an abundance of engine oils that meet the specs outlined in the owner's manual, but oil filters that meet Subaru's unusually high bypass valve spec are few.

Some of the ones I know that meet the spec are (but this list is not complete)
  • Subaru blue OEM (manufactured by Honeywell/FRAM)
  • Subaru black OEM (manufactured by Tokyo Roki, highly sought after)
  • Six star brand (Canadian OEM, manufactured by Northeast Imported Parts)
  • Purolator oil filters
  • certain Wix oil filters
  • pink STI (Subaru Tecnica International, prohibitively expensive, used by motorsport teams especially Subaru factory rally and race teams)

2) Monitor your tire pressures religiously. Check them only when cold. Subaru defines cold tires as being driven less than 1 mile and having sat for more than 3 hours.

The owner's manual calls for a monthly checkup. I go a step further and check all four drive tires once a week. I check the spare tire once a month, in line with the owner's manual recommendation.

I go the extra step and ensure the tires are uniformly exposed or shielded from sunlight and the vehicle set at a level surface such as a garage.

The reason why I preach this is because the lack of tire maintenance on my first Subaru resulted in a failing center differential and a driveline that was basically ready for the junkyard. To err on the side of caution considering you too drive an exceptionally high amount of miles per week compared to average commuters, periodically check your tire wear patterns and inspect the suspension alignment angles. A bad alignment can snowball from a slight inconvenience, to unevenly worn tires, to eventual driveline component damage.

Oh, and I'd recommend running the specified tire pressures on your tire placard at the driver doorjamb. If you're adamant on running higher pressures, I'd advise to use the same front-to-rear proportion of pressure as the specified pressures on the placard.

3) If you haven't already (I would be concerned if you don't do this already), do a pre-drive inspection every day before you begin driving to the letter according to the owner's manual, as well as inspections during fuel stops.

For my 5-speed manual 2014 Crosstrek, I put this on my sunvisor's map hold as a reminder:
http://i.imgur.com/6qTdCYq.png

In addition, checking all fluids according to the owner's manual is something that should be done during every fuel up.

Like I said, #3 should be something you're already doing. If not, I'd recommend you get in the habit of doing.

If you too have any suggestions on such preventive maintenance checks and services, I'd like you to share considering I too still have a bit of high mileage mega-commuting to go.
AWDfreak, if it isn't already, your post should be a sticky!

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Well, I'd have to integrate a few more maintenance things I keep in mind, but I will try to get to that by the middle of this week. Appreciate the suggestion!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts