Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ouch! You're right.. it's probably all cosmetic... but still hurts!

Hopefully at the most it just needs a good buffing. Or if the clear coat is cracked, they can fix that easily too, good as new!

Take a look at your bumper *very* carefully. While the plastic has some memory, it's also very soft and mold-able. Compare your bumper-to-wheel well-to the seams of the hood, or clearances around the headlights, on *both* sides of the car. If one seam is off from another, then your bumper may have compressed (if even slightly) at the impact. The only things holding that bumper are in-place molded clips or.. teeth (if you will). If one of those got stretched, it too could affect the seam tolerances (and don't let a body shop give you any crap about "within tolerances". If the gap is noticeable to a regular person's eye.. then it's still wrong).

And don't let them get away with a bad tape-off job around the wheel well molding either. That's a serious design - vs - sustainability issue in the engineering of the fender wells and bumper. Seems like, in the factory, the fender wells are painted, and *then* the wheel well moldings are put on over that so that the paint looks to be "underneath" the moldings. Problem is.. those suckers are molded to the body and don't just pop off. So, after-delivery body shops have to try to tape up really tight to that molding line. Otherwise, you'll have paint bleed up on to the molding and it will look very bad. And don't let the body shop say something stupid to you like.. "Well we can just touch up some black paint on the molding to cover where the paint bled on to it", either! (sound like words from experience in this same situation?) :)

Oddest thing about the paint on the wheel wells...the rear wells look to have been painted after the molding is in place on these cars. But, knowing what I know now, I would say if I saw a paint line *above/over* a molding on the front, I would know the bumper or well had been repaired at some level. That is of course, unless on the newest of models, Subie got smart and realized what a headache this is for body shops (including those in their own Dealer Collision Centers) and started painting them all after the moldings were put on. Don't know.. I'm not an expert. Just going off of what I experienced recently myself.

Well, good luck and keep us posted! Hope you get her back good as new very soon!

·
Registered
38 Posts
NOOOOO!!!! OH THE HUMANITY... :-\ or lack there of...... :eek:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Did you find it this way Wilco or we're you driving? I just hate it for you and I hope it's fixed to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched the lady do it as I was putting my debit card back into my wallet at the atm. She had a totally empty curb ahead of me - at least 3 car lengths empty! Yet she decided to make a ridiculous cut towards the curb by the front of my car as if she had to squeeze in.

I hope it doesn't become an issue with mismatching paint, etc. I also want them to replace the wheel cladding because she scraped that up as well.

I'm travelling for work at the moment so I have to wait until possibly the first week of July before I can get it in somewhere.

I was planning on really giving it a good cleaning, waxing, sealing when I got back from work, and instead I get to do this. Oh well. You can drive as carefully as you like, but you can never account for how the other person drives.

Thanks for the support, All.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I hope all goes well! That should be a pretty easy paint color for them to match up. Sadly you're right, no matter how hard any of us try there will always be people out there we can't avoid.

·
Registered
164 Posts
At least you got the culprit. I take it this is dealt with by insurance?
My wife got hit in the flank by a careless driver as well. Insurance paid for everything, she even got a new alloy because it was ever so slightly touched.

Sucks, but unfortunately it's how it is. Every time I get in my car I wonder if this will be the drive where I'm hit by an inattentive idiot...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ugh, sorry wilco. Seems more and more of our XVs are being pushed around!

Wingnut said:
I wonder...had you not seen the perp violate your baby, would she have have left a note or fessed up?
I'd like to hope so...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This lady would not have stopped and left a note. She got out, looked at my fender and said, "Oh, it's just a scratch."

Then as I'm looking at it she says, "Well get everything you can out of this." Yeah, like I'm the one who ruined her day. What a piece of work.

Took everything I had to remain composed. My insurance company had some difficulty with the info she gave me, but eventually got it resolved.

I'll have it fixed when I return.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Glad you were there then! I despise people like that. Someone busted a trailer hitch through the grille on my bugeye and left without leaving a note, fortunately the parking garage had cameras! People astound me sometimes "oh it's nothing to worry about" when they leave a big dent or ding on your car and then try to make it sound like you're the one being a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Glad this is in your rear view! 8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting attitude some people have... As the Queen of Hearts in "Alice..." said... "Off with her head !" .. or was that "Hook" ? Something about "keel hauled" I think. Either or both are only fair for that kind of abuse and attitude ! Poor Subie, glad she recovered .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts