Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As u know this is my first subaru. I notice every morning when I start up the engine I heard something like grinding noise for first 2min is that normal for subaru engine? boxer engine sound like diesel engine when accelerate is that normal too?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The diesel sound is pretty normal. Do you hear the grinding noise every time when you start it, or just when it has been sitting a while, first thing in the morning or what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear the grinding noise only in the morning when I start it up. p.s. I don't know if it's a grinding noise or if it's just loud, but to me it sounds like a grinding noise.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I haven't noticed anything like that, but this is my third Suby so maybe its common. I'll be on the lookout tomorrow for anything that sounds similar and report back. If you think it's bad enough you should definitely take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
If you could upload a video, it would be very helpful.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us some more conditions, such as the estimated ambient temperature when you start the engine, what area of the engine bay it sounds like it may be coming from, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came back from the dealer today. The service people told me it was normal on this engine. And, they told me it wasn't a grinding noise. It's just the way the engine normally sounds. Thanks guys for replying to my post!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
rokmoso said:
I came back from the dealer today. The service people told me it was normal on this engine. And, they told me it wasn't a grinding noise. It's just the way the engine normally sounds. Thanks guys for replying to my post!
Must just be the sound of the flat-four starting up. I love the rumble of the boxer engine.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I'm thinking it might be the timing chain. Unlike FB/FA engines, EJ engines never used a chain but a belt instead.

·
Registered
714 Posts
AWDfreak you are most likely correct. Assuming there is nothing actually wrong with the car it could very well be the sound of the timing chain. Remember that there is also a whole lot of motor sans oil on startup before pressure builds so some noise can be normal (although not for 2 mins).

·
Registered
15 Posts
it almost sounds like when you are trying to turn it over but the starter won't turn over. but its not that, just sounds like it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I know what it is.
The starter motor has sprockets that turns the engine during startup. Many of our Subes have sprikets that don’t engage fully therefore loosing or chipping away bits of the teeth in each startup.
Eventually when there are no teeth left, you will hear a whirr... thats it.
So in order to avoid getting stranded in the mountains where there are no garages, I would advise to have the starter motor pulled out and inspected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts