Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today our Crosstrek was damaged in a hail storm. Golf Ball size hail!. My wife was at work in Grand Rapids MI, the storm passed through about 3:00 PM. The Hood, Roof and Rear Hatch spoiler are real bad. there is damage to both front fenders, both rear doors, and the Pass. front door. Only 215 miles on it! :( :-[ :-\ All the glass survived. State Farm is going to love me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
oh no!!! I'm so sorry this has happened to your car! Will keep fingers crossed that insurance does right by you and all comes out as good as new! Glad you and the wife are ok though. We heard there were some bad storms out that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this! We saw the storms in the news, it must've been so scary! :-[ Good thing you and your family weren't hurt and hopefully the insurance will take care of your crosstrek!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, you may be in for a shock if your hail-damage experience goes anything like mine did several years ago in Dallas.
I had come back to Dallas after an extended trip, pulled the cover off of my Miata (didn't want it needlessly baking in the sun all summer) to find it looking a lot like a golf ball! Covered with dents. Anyway, when the insurance adjuster suggested that it may all be fixed with dentless paint repair I laughed. I mean, how much labor time will they pay for before it makes more sense to just replace the hood and trunk lid? Well, he was right. They did the entire car with no painting or panel replacements.
Those guys are amazing at that kind of work these days. The only places I can tell it ever had repair is a few spots on the underside of the hood where I can see that they had been tapping here and there. Looking at the outside you would never know.

Best of luck with it.

Oh, I recently had another nasty (malicious) dent removed from the Miata here in Maui. Another dent magician! The hail belt of the mainland doesn't have a lock on the paintless repair magicians anymore.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ah man, thats a nice way to celebrate your first few hundred miles. I hope they get the crosstrek looking brand new again!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I echo the others sentiments about your hail damage. I hope you will never be able to tell. And RalphRotten- I am just sickened by what you and your compatriots are going through there in Ok. Thoughts and prayers....... Take care.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to my body shop "The Shop" this morning. He said most will be removed by paintless dent removal. The hood will have to be painted because there is broken pain (small area painted/blended and the whole hood clear coated). Washed it this morning before i went, found a very small spot on the drivers door. So now there is damage to all doors, roof, hood, both front fenders. He said $4000+.

·
Registered
130 Posts
@RubySu thanks for your kind words...we are organizing relief efforts, but it's difficult because they really don't want individuals to come down..its about 60 miles south west of us... so we are working thru local churches and the Red Cross... this is very personal and difficult for us since we lost our home and all of our possessions 6 months ago when our house burned to the ground... so I know exactly what these people are feeling... and we received help from total strangers so it feels good to give back..

·
Registered
820 Posts
RalphRotten said:
@RubySu thanks for your kind words...we are organizing relief efforts, but it's difficult because they really don't want individuals to come down..its about 60 miles south west of us... so we are working thru local churches and the Red Cross... this is very personal and difficult for us since we lost our home and all of our possessions 6 months ago when our house burned to the ground... so I know exactly what these people are feeling... and we received help from total strangers so it feels good to give back..
Oh my goodness RR. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your home and possessions. Being here, near the coast, loss is something that we potentially face- as hurricane season approaches. I am always encouraged by how people rally to the aid of those in need. That is one of this countries greatest resources. Human compassion. Especially in the face of overwhelming devastation. Please let me know how I can directly contribute to whatever you are organizing. I will be happy to send a check or make a donation of some sort.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would be crying....

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
800 Posts
RubySu said:
I am always encouraged by how people rally to the aid of those in need. That is one of this countries greatest resources. Human compassion. Especially in the face of overwhelming devastation. Please let me know how I can directly contribute to whatever you are organizing. I will be happy to send a check or make a donation of some sort.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine got dinged from gumball-sized hail last night; have had it exactly a month. Thankfully, the damage seems minimal from what I can tell so far (storm arrived 4+ hours ahead of schedule so I was unprepared, but I did manage to move the car to cover before it got worse). The dents are few and they're shallow, so they should be easy to fix, but I'm probably going to wait awhile to bother given we've had a lot of these storms here lately in Texas; I'll wait for Mother Nature to calm down and stop tossing tornadoes, hail and lightning around.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That stinks Skillet.... I was stationed at Ft. Hood in the late 80s and had a Nissan pickup that was under a carport. Everyplace it was even minimally exposed was beat to heck. Insurance paid up though as I remember. Seems like there are more and more success stories with the paintless dent removal people. Less invasive and quick turn around- might be worth a look see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts