Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Crosstrek with eysight feature, i was wondering if i can upgrade the headlights to LED or Xenon, they are not very bright but need to know if
it can be done, any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not replace halogen bulbs with LED. LED designed lights are "projector" style lights that focus the light at the appropriate distance. Replacing Halogen bulbs with LED make your car appear as if your lights are on high all the time and can blind oncoming drivers. Google the question and pick the guy from Oregon who did a pretty in-depth test.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got a Crosstrek with eysight feature, i was wondering if i can upgrade the headlights to LED or Xenon, they are not very bright but need to know if
it can be done, any suggestions.
If you do change type of bulbs from the original equipment you need to replace the entire headlamp Assembly not just the bulb. The lensing and reflectors inside the headlamp assembly are designed to work specifically with the type of ball being used. Changing just the bulbs can cause like to be getting blasted out where it's not meant to go blinding other drivers etc. Not just a Subaru issue this is true of any vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to disagree but if the bulb is in a projector housing or if the front of it is shielded you will not blind other drivers. I have done this in all of my cars including two Crosstreks and four Toyotas. The Crosstreks have a reflective piece in front of the tip of the bulb. My Toyotas are projector lights. All you are doing is putting in a slightly higher wattage halogen bulb in an assembly designed for halogen bulbs. Where you run into trouble is when you start using led replacement bulbs in a housing designed for halogen bulbs. All properly aimed of course.

Read through this- 3rd Gen HID vs LED vs Halogen H11 projector headlights
There is a link in that thread that specifically deals with H-9 conversions. Modifying the bulb is easy but there are vendors on Amazon that sell adapter harnesses if you are not comfortable handling the bulbs. Also don't touch the glass portion of the bulb with your bare hands, the oils shorten the bulb life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hate to disagree but if the bulb is in a projector housing or if the front of it is shielded you will not blind other drivers. I have done this in all of my cars including two Crosstreks and four Toyotas. The Crosstreks have a reflective piece in front of the tip of the bulb. My Toyotas are projector lights. All you are doing is putting in a slightly higher wattage halogen bulb in an assembly designed for halogen bulbs. Where you run into trouble is when you start using led replacement bulbs in a housing designed for halogen bulbs. All properly aimed of course.

There is a link in that thread that specifically deals with H-9 conversions. Modifying the bulb is easy but there are vendors on Amazon that sell adapter harnesses if you are not comfortable handling the bulbs. Also don't touch the glass portion of the bulb with your bare hands, the oils shorten the bulb life.

There was an excellent article linked in one of the posts either here or in the XV forum that gave specific details about not changing light source types depending on the original equipment because the entire reflector system is designed to work with the light source. If I can find it I'll link it here again. Gave photo examples of the light beam pattern before and after changing bulbs and in many cases the upper limit of the light is much higher than design intentions. Also with other changes the light width pattern becomes much wider than desired losing brightness in the center core area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are correct. A H-9 bulb is not a different light source, it is a brighter Halogen bulb placed back in a reflector designed for Halogens. It is referencing placing a LED bulb into a housing designed for Halogens.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I went the less-annoying route and got a "higher output" bulb of the same exact bulb type and shape. It's a "high output" halogen bulb that does provide a marginal improvement, but will not be the same extra-high quality LED or HID light output. An entire re-engineering of the headlight assemblies is needed to properly implement a completely different light type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts