Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this gem on instagram a few weeks back. I'm pretty certain those are BF Goodrich ATs on there(I had them on my xterra). It looks like those are 16's but I'm can't tell. How badass does this look though?

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those look like 15in wheels. They probably are since I know dirtfish will have a bunch of Subaru fitment really wheels laying around. As far as tire size goes I'm not sure but I'd like to know!

Edit: It's most likely the 15in rim with a LT215/75R15/C BFG A/T on it. That tire would be just a hair larger than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rmaligie said:
Love those tires I wish I could find those for the factory rims

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The probable reason they're not available is that the 17" rims is that they are simply not practical on these vehicles, given that you can't also increase the outer diameter as well. We have a severe clearance issue on these XVs. All terrain tyres benefit from tall sidewalls (high aspect ratio) more than anything - so they are able to absorb rock and rut hits by allowing these sidewalls to flex - a lot. The slightly more aggressive tread pattern is only a part of the equation. The sidewalls also need to be thicker than those of road tyres, so that they can provide some measure of stake protection. A decent stick or tree root will lacerate your thinner walled tyres in a split second. Thick and short sidewalls also mean no flex - which is what you'd suffer on 17" rims. AT's are great on sand - but must be aired down to low pressure (I run 10-12psi) so that they "bag" out in both width and length of their contact patch - allowing them to float over the sand rather than dig in. Short and thick sidewalls won't allow this. The best thing to do is to go down in rim diameter - to at least 16" but preferably 15" if you can guarantee brake calliper clearance. This way, your sidewalls can be a whole inch taller, which makes a surprising amount of difference in real life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts