Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Picked up my 2013 XV premium about a month ago, Tangerine Orange, with splash guards and OEM rear spoiler. Already did a pioneer NAV, sat radio, iphone 5 install. Feel free to ask me about it, went pretty smoothly once I threw the directions out! In the past 3 years I have owned a 2010 Outback sport, 2012 Impreza sport, and now the XV. Kind of obsessed!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Phoenix622 said:
Hey everyone,

Picked up my 2013 XV premium about a month ago, Tangerine Orange, with splash guards and OEM rear spoiler. Already did a pioneer NAV, sat radio, iphone 5 install. Feel free to ask me about it, went pretty smoothly once I threw the directions out! In the past 3 years I have owned a 2010 Outback sport, 2012 Impreza sport, and now the XV. Kind of obsessed!
Greetings and WELCOME! Was the navi/ sat radio one piece? That sounds interesting to me. Please include model # if it was one piece, oh, and price. Thanks! And again welcome to the site- you are not alone in your obsession...lots of folks on here are multiple owners. This however, was my first. Can't believe it took me so long to find, but happy now 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pioneer nav unit was then avic-x850 but the install will the be same for the 950 and the higher end 7" one. I can post more p/n and info tonight . Here is 2 pictures for now

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I think I spent around 900 when it was all said and done since the apple adapters for the iPhone 5 are extremely pricey...even though pioneer has still not produced a firmware update for comparability promised for May

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided not to go for the camera yet, the avic-x850 has the option in case it looks good in the future. I'm old school and reluctant to go to that camera install yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those who asked here is everything I bought for the Pioneer Nav/Sat Radio install in the XV.

Pioneer AVIC-X850BT 6.1" WVGA GPS Receiver ~ $590 Amazon

Metra 70-7552 Wiring Harness Adapter ~ $10 Amazon (buy two if you want to transplant pins to avoid any factory wiring splicing/cutting) Feel free to ask me about this.

Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)~$55 Amazon easy to install, just ignore wire colors (use pin #)
Unforunately you lose your phone steering wheel buttons unless you program them for other uses

SCOSCHE 2012 Subaru Impreza Double Din and Din with pocket ~ $20 Amazon

If you want the satalite radio connect kit, this is it
*SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner ~ $50 Amazon

I also wanted the iPhone 5 connect kit (bit of a rip off but ultimately worth it, though still waiting for full app mode compatability from pioneer firmware update)
*Apple USB to lightning cable ~ $20 Apple store
*Apple Lightnigh to VGA adapter ~$50 Best Buy
*Pioneer CDIV202NAV ~ $100 Crutchfield

They do make Iphone 4(s) and droid interface kits as well.

A few things I did, was the transplanting of pins to one harness (harness ships with blank pin slots) to one harness adapter, slight PITA but get a sharp dental tool and its not so bad.

Also, the parking brake bypass..depending on what model you get, find a youtube video to figure out what pin you have to move and ground out so you can actually nav while the car is in motion. Took about 5 minutes for a semi-savvy person like myself.

Hope this helps! Let me know if anyone needs more info on where I ran wires (there is a whole bunch) and antennas. More than happy to share my success story. It is totally worth it! 8)

·
Registered
820 Posts
"Semi-savvy" my as$! Looks great and I really appreciate the time you took to write/ explain it all. +1karma 8)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Looks like a really clean install, Phoenix. One of my biggest issues with some of the nav's I've played with (at Best Buy-type stores) is that they can seem unresponsive. How is this Pioneer unit?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but does the BlueTooth still work? Thank you for all of this great info.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Phoenix622 said:
Also, the parking brake bypass..depending on what model you get, find a youtube video to figure out what pin you have to move and ground out so you can actually nav while the car is in motion. Took about 5 minutes for a semi-savvy person like myself.
This is something thats been in the back of my mind. I don't mess with the nav when Im driving, but it would be nice to be able to make an adjustment without having to pull over.

·
Registered
820 Posts
AlexAlejan said:
Phoenix622 said:
This is something thats been in the back of my mind. I don't mess with the nav when Im driving, but it would be nice to be able to make an adjustment without having to pull over.

I agree Alex. Especially if I include the times when my wife or someone else is in the pass. Seat and can easily adjust the navi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RubySu said:
AlexAlejan said:
Phoenix622 said:

I agree Alex. Especially if I include the times when my wife or someone else is in the pass. Seat and can easily adjust the navi.

It is very useful to do. I mean it's a judgement call on safety I feel. The bypass is a simple process though. Let me know if anyone needs more details

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just wish you were closer Phoenix! That way if I started to mess it up, you could bail me out! I have this unwarranted fear of electrical installs of any type. Now if its replacing a axle or motor, swapping a transmission- I'm all game-done it more times than I care to remember. As soon as I get to a wiring harness-YIKES :eek: I wanna turn and run! Let alone dash/stereo aftermarket-scared to death of it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can swap a transmission I have the utmost confidence that you can transplant one measly little wire from one spot on a harness to another! ;D I use to be afraid of wiring but the great thing about wiring harnesses are that your factory wiring doesn't get the brunt of the action therefor the worst thing that can happen is you buy a new harness for $15. If you (or anyone else for that matter) is really getting the ball rolling on the install I can attempt to pull apart the dash to take some more pictures of the wiring getup.

Don't be scared! It is just a bit of copper surrounded by rubber!!

What's the worst that can happen.....famous last words....

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm getting better at it, I guess. I swapped out my the navi in my daughters QX4 a few months back and it was quite simple. Then again, it was the exact same thing out/in. It's not the dash that's scary, or the electric current, it's the putting it back together and it not working due to something not being powered correctly or shorting something out. It's a mutant phobia, I agree!

Haven't decided to do yet, and probably won't because I have too many funds going out to spend on (yet another) car upgrade. Thanks for the encouragement though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts