Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If you saw my intro on the worldwide website, sorry if some of this is repetitive.)

Saturday I picked up my new Crosstrek (Premier, Dark Metallic Grey, CVT, Navigation (had to have Sirius radio), and Popular Package #1 (after having an auto-dim mirror in my Mazda6, it's a must have)). The color was important enough to have it transported from another state.

I'm a bit OCD and had trouble selecting a car. Considered and quickly ruled out the Crosstrek early on -- due to low HP (I try to stay ahead of traffic and zipped around in my Mazda6) and dismissive reviews saying it's just a tall Impreza. Months went by of mulling it over and checking out all kinds of cars and reviews. Really wanted a Subaru after driving one off-road on Kauai last year (the symmetrical AWD is amazing).

Last week took another look at the Crosstrek: AWD, ground clearance, tight package, excellent gas mileage, relatively lightweight (about the same as the lightweight Nissan Altima). Went for a test drive and couldn't figure out why 148 HP is such a big deal. And after a few days of driving, my assessment --
IF THIS CAR IS UNDERPOWERED, THEN WHY IS EVERYONE STILL IN MY WAY?
Indeed, it's not the horsepower, it's how you drive. Having 200+ horsepower seems to pointless for most drivers, starting and driving slowly as many of them talk on their phones.

Yesterday on the way to the gym, was cruising along effortlessly with the flow of traffic (in left HOV lane with my wife) at about 72 MPH (65 zone), about 2K RPM, exit came up, people to the right. Quickly overtook vehicles on the right and zipped into the right lane to exit. (BTW, in 28 years of driving I've never caused an accident, but I've been rear-ended a few times while stopped, so I prefer to keep traffic behind me, too many distracted drivers. I also don't get ticketed, mostly keep to 10 mph above speed limit on the highway, but keep it slow in residential areas. Don't want you all to think I'm reckless, I drive exceptionally well and know all the rules of the road.)

Under heavy acceleration the CVT and engine do get a little loud, but not as bad as some reviews would make it seem. Once cruising it's reasonably quiet. Per pound it's almost as well-powered as the 2.5 Outback (21 lb/HP vs. 20 lb/HP).

Any way, love this car! I also love that they aren't all over the road, even though they should be. I'm confident that if I encounter another one on the road, we're going to wave "hi" at each other. We're in a little club that has discovered the best crossover on the market. Tall Impreza? Pfft. The Impreza is now just a short Crosstrek.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well put Maryland. My sentiments precisely.
This damn xv just works.
I know cars, have a 911 and ex hemi JGC owner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in PG Co. I'm a lawyer, so if you see a dark grey Crosstrek heading to or parked at a courthouse, good chance it's me (at least until there are more Crosstreks on the road).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Greetings VP. The way you described your driving style fits me to a T. I like to keep it moving and find a space to exist in while driving. I absolutely cannot stand all the slouches who get in the left lane and consume that space while barely doing the limit and talking on their phone! Arrggghhhh(Charlie brown style after missing the football) !

Also at issue- how could you possibly be -1 in Karma after just joining?? Someone must have done after seeing your profession? I ll take care of that and balance it out for you 8)

Welcome to the site- enjoy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RubySu said:
how could you possibly be -1 in Karma after just joining?? Someone must have done after seeing your profession? I ll take care of that and balance it out for you
Didn't realize I was in the red, thanks. I was wondering what the difference was between "applaud" and "smile." I see, it's smiTe. I probably deserved a smite for mis-posting. (Which could not be fixed, you cannot delete a thread you start, apparently. I caught the error immediately but couldn't do anything about it.)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to Club Crosstrek, thank you for signing up. Congrats on the purchase, the dark gray looks awesome. I had some issues with the power, too, before I test drove/purchased the Crosstrek. A lot of reviews said that with 148hp there was just no way it could have enough power (this was before the car was available in the US). I really like Subaru's, though, so as soon as a local dealer got an XV on the lot I went and test drove it and was very pleased.

Now, 9,000 miles later, I feel like the car gets more and more fun to drive. It is the perfect all around package, IMO. Sure, I would like a turbo thrown in there just for fun, but I don't think it's a necessity.

Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier to move, but it has been done now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts