Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
A lot of road noise. At 65 its ok but upwards of 90 its loud. Handles well but the breaks are weak. I was impresssed with the CVT and using the flappy paddles for some engine breaking. The car does great at high speeds up steep long hills, but if I have to slow down and lose momentum, then I'm stuck in the R lane until I can gain more speed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ikon said:
A lot of road noise. At 65 its ok but upwards of 90 its loud. Handles well but the breaks are weak. I was impresssed with the CVT and using the flappy paddles for some engine breaking. The car does great at high speeds up steep long hills, but if I have to slow down and lose momentum, then I'm stuck in the R lane until I can gain more speed.
#1 where & 2 why are you driving around at 90 all the time?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not getting the road noise that it seems others have issue with. I read that complaint before buying and was concerned, but it just hasn't been the case with mine. I have the CVT which I understand has padding under the hood which isn't available with the stick. So, maybe most are referring to the manual model.

I've been in the 75 mph range with no problems. Though, I would agree with crosswinds mentioned above. Not huge, but exists.

All in all I love the ride. Wish I had a bit more cash to get the Limited because I really miss climate control.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
421 Posts
theyellowroseoftexas said:
Ikon said:
#1 where & 2 why are you driving around at 90 all the time?
I live in Phoenix. I17 fron Phoenix to Prescott is 75 mph, 85 is the flow of traffic and I have a lead foot. Truth is 90, to me feels like 65. For the past 8 years I have been driving sports cars. And my perception of speed is warped.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I get the road noise but it really doesn't bother me at all as long as my music is on (which is 99.99% of the time). Also, it seems you have to be going over 75 for it to be loud which is not the majority of my driving in LA. Handling and smoothness are fine, though. Obviously not a luxury sedan but you have to expect that in a crossover.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree with everyone here. I get some road noise at around 60+, but it isn't much at all. Music, radio, or conversation really drowns it out.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Road noise....road noise at 90? How can y'all hear it over Metallica? 8) LOL!!

I travel around 75-80 and there is a bit of noise... but not so much that it concerns me.... heck I drive my TJ with the top and doors off at 70-80 for six months out of the year.... what road noise?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Xtrekr said:
Road noise....road noise at 90? How can y'all hear it over Metallica? 8) LOL!!

I travel around 75-80 and there is a bit of noise... but not so much that it concerns me.... heck I drive my TJ with the top and doors off at 70-80 for six months out of the year.... what road noise?
Phaahaahaa - I so agree with you & john Wayne!

·
Registered
194 Posts
One of the journalist reporters/testers said the car was 'twitchy' on the hiway. I never found that so, it's very solid.

The car is light at just over 3K lbs, so will be affected by crosswinds more than a 4K lb car. My GLK350 was over 4K lbs and was rock steady. It also got 18.5mpg on premium over 22K miles.

The tires are a little more aggressive than a normal passenger car tire. What y'all are hearing on the hiway is tire noise. As an 'economy' car there's not a lot of sound deadening installed into the car, so the extra 'road noise' from tires is going to come through more than on a more luxury car. Again, a GLK is almost double the cost of a 'trek. When doing the hitch install and wiring with interior panels removed, it was easy to see the difference in the use of sound deadening material on the two cars. I just installed a curt hitch on the 'trek, had done one on the GLK as well.

The 5spd manual is running just over 3K rpms at 70mph. With just a thousand miles on the car I was getting 32-34 on the trip comp over a 300 mile coast trip. Surprisingly, the motor doesn't really sound like it's spinning its guts out at that speed. I'm not sure it could go 90. LOL.

The 'trek is definitely not a luxury car, and it's not a freeway loafer. It's an ecomony car. If a driver is looking for a long haul freeway cruiser this isn't it. It does so many other things well this was secondary for me. At least for the stick shift model. It really needs a 6th gear. But at 60-70 mph it's just great on the road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I drive 149 miles round trio for work everyday. I drive at 80mph the car is loud inside . Breaks should be larger. Its okay in my opinion in that respect

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rmaligie said:
I drive 149 miles round trio for work everyday. I drive at 80mph the car is loud inside . Breaks should be larger. Its okay in my opinion in that respect

Turn up the radio.... 8) j/k. I think noise is a relative in what you are used to personally.... I think it's ok. I mean it's not a Mercedes, but definitely not a Yugo...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Xtrekr said:
I think noise is a relative in what you are used to personally.... I think it's ok. I mean it's not a Mercedes, but definitely not a Yugo...
Yes, this. My XV is much quieter compared to my last car so I have zero complaints about road noise. I think she drives great on the highway, very sure footed. It does take some encouragement to get to cruising speed, but that just involves a left shifter flick or two and she settles in fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drive the six speed manual. Cruising at 120km/h is not noiseless, but definitely quiet by my standards.
The car is a bit susceptible to crosswinds but other than some body wobble she stays on track. I've driven a Mazda 626 in the past that was blown from one lane to the next due to crosswinds...
Overtaking is a breeze but you have to drop a gear or two, obviously. Dropping to fifth is enough for a normal overtake (and, frankly, I could do it in sixth as well but what's the fun in that?). For smaller openings or faster traffic, I drop to fourth.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sancho said:
I drive the six speed manual. Cruising at 120km/h is not noiseless, but definitely quiet by my standards.
>snip
6 spd manual, eh? Now that's funny. :eek:

"Standards" is funny too, it's not a real quiet car either, like for like.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CJBROWN said:
6 spd manual, eh? Now that's funny. :eek:
What's funny about it?

And yes, the car is about as quiet as anything I've driven so far. Maybe it's not Cadillac quiet, but other than some rolling noises from the tyres and the roar of the engine when you rev it (which I consider a bonus) this is a quiet car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Sancho is overseas where they are lucky enough to get the 6-speed.
Ah, makes a LOT more sense now. ;)

Which begs the question, why a different trans for US bound cars?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts