Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm awaiting delivery of a TOP XV. After reading many comments about the less than ideal paint Subaru slaps on these cars, I'm considering having 3M protection film applied. As I understand, this can not be done until the paint is cured. How long does that take?

I'll be commuting to Manhattan and parking in a crowded indoor garage. I figure the film is my best chance of not having the car scratched up. Anyone have the film on their cars?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is the manufacturers website: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film

There is a comprehensive FAQ in the menu, should answer your questions.

However they do say to "apply to fully cured paint" they don't say how long that is. These cars are machine painted in Japan by a robotic type sprayer with catalized paint. I would say your paint is fully cured by the time you take delivery. Still, check the build date and give it 90 days to be sure. The film isn't that tacky but covering fresh paint can create other issues with the finish.

Normally the film is applied to the vehicle front surfaces to protect from rock chips. Were you considering applying it elsewhere as well?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe 3M has pre-cut film to cover the hood, a bit of the leading fender, headlights, bumpers, mirrors and rocker panels. I plan on having a well respected local detailer apply it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We had the 3M Clear Front Wrap installed on our XV three days after we took delivery. The paint was plenty dry at the time when we picked it up, so off it went to our local installer and he covered her face for us.

Bikini Hood, Fender Tips, Entire Front Bumper, Headlights, Foglights, and Mirrors. The Headlights required the Impreza Cuts, they fit great on the face side but the tops were difficult to install. The mirrors are a two piece cut, so they installed easier for Brian.

Because of the hard angles of the front bumper and the unusual aero ridges on the hood, he used a heat gun to get the film to sit properly with great coverage. When the sun hits the film just right and you are wearing polarized lenses, you can see the stretch marks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The said:
We had the 3M Clear Front Wrap installed on our XV three days after we took delivery. The paint was plenty dry at the time when we picked it up, so off it went to our local installer and he covered her face for us.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The total Price for all of the 3M Clear Wrap, Front Window and 1/4 Quarter Windows Tinted, Front Windshield Tint Strip, the Carbon Overlay on the superior/topside of the Headlights, and the Tax brought the total to $850.00. Not cheap, but for peace of mind and ease of cleaning it was worth every penny to us.

To get a better price idea check out: http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_protection_kits.asp

You shouldn't pay anything more than their MSRP Suggested Price. This is a different product, same mil thickness, but from what I have been told they do not have the UV Protectant Layer in the film.

The Installer that did our job used the Xpel Cut Lines but used a 3M film. He told me that Xpel does a better job at measuring the cars but 3M has a superior film product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts