Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my subaru crosstrek 2021 limited 2.0 L bought in Mexico made in japan for 11 months now.
so far I‘ve changed oil and filter first time in January 2022 6 months after it was bought, and changed oil again on june 2022 out of caution (don’t wanna wait, Mexican Subaru says every 12000 km (6000+ miles).)

I want to keep this car in the best upkeep possible.
I also have a FUMOTO drain valve which possibly will make my life easier at every oil change.

My question is:
-What’s the ideal mileage for oil changes? It‘s very dusty here and i know it doesn’t Hurt to change oil often. So want toestablish a minimal mileage for myself.
-what other services should I be doing to the car besides rotating tires and changino engine oil?
-whats the best period flushing brakes, differentials, transmission oil, and anything else of similar importance I may have not mentioned?
-what about suspension parts? Lots of potholes here. Are polyurethane bushings better?

THEY HAVE HAD ME USE 5W-30 engine oil ever since the car was bought citing the heat in cabo as a reason to do that.
I know similar things have been mentioned before in other posts , but I’d appreciate a response or links to the needed posts if you know. Take care!
Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle
Bottle Liquid Fluid Drink Plastic bottle

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
6 Posts
Too late for some of mine. I like to perform first OC around 3000 km. Then maybe every 7500 km.
Here the dealer will do four for free with tire rotations, and two cabin filter changes. Get good at air filter change. If living in Cabo I would shake the powder out every 4000 km and replace at every oil change.
Your car is specked a little different than US, here Limited is 2.5l, assume yours is CVT. Drain pan every 50,000 km to extend life.
Do differential fluids every other CVT drain. AND drain and refill rear differential first time before 5000 km. Clean the drain plug to gauge how much metal it has picked up. They put something in the rear unit that makes the fluid extremely dark. After first flush it should stay clean.
I am looking for a lower temperature thermostat. Found a 165 degree. Want around a 180.
After having run back and forth from Cabo to airport and up and down Pacific coast I think tires need to be more off-road than OEM. Lot of unpaved rock roads. Big chug holes.
When I did my first oil change the oil was black. This was at 3000km. Has looked normal since. Think another additive like the rear differential.
Read Wolverine12’s 18 page report on long term use. Over a million miles. But his use was extreme, 1200 km a day.
A neighbor has one just like yours. Mine is white.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[..] I like to perform first OC around 3000 km. Then maybe every 7500 km.

Here the dealer will do four for free with tire rotations, and two cabin filter changes.
Get good at air filter change.

If living in Cabo I would shake the powder out every 4000 km and replace at every oil change.

Your car is specked a little different than US, here Limited is 2.5l, assume yours is CVT. Drain pan every 50,000 km to extend life.

Do differential fluids every other CVT drain. AND drain and refill rear differential first time before 5000 km. Clean the drain plug to gauge how much metal it has picked up.

They put something in the rear unit that makes the fluid extremely dark. After first flush it should stay clean.
I am looking for a lower temperature thermostat. Found a 165 degree. Want around a 180.

After having run back and forth from Cabo to airport and up and down Pacific coast I think tires need to be more off-road than OEM. Lot of unpaved rock roads. Big chug holes.
When I did my first oil change the oil was black. This was at 3000km. Has looked normal since. Think another additive like the rear differential.

Read Wolverine12’s 18 page report on long term use. Over a million miles. But his use was extreme, 1200 km a day.

A neighbor has one just like yours. Mine is white.

[..] yes you’re right I was deff late for the first oil change but I’d been more diligent afterwards.

Yes roads in cabo and Baja in general suck most of the time. I’m afraid to wreck the car on potholes at
Times. But I love Baja at the same time lol.
thanks for the filter change tip! Will keep that in mind.

yes engine is CVT, but leather seats eyesight and everything else.
I will definitely
Draining Pan you mean AT TRANSMISSION? every 50,000 km to extend life?

“Drain and refill rear differential first time before 5000 km. “ why is this? 5000km? The dealership says those lasts forever (I know it’s not true, but 5000 km seems to early).
either way, this is a must at 50000 right?

“They put something in the rear unit that makes the fluid extremely dark. After first flush it should stay clean.” maybe oem kinda thing?

Why do you want lower temp thermostat ??

this OEM TIRES have taken me all the way to playa el requeson which I’m sure you know, and I can go on the beach no problem. But sometimes I do need more grip so at some point definitely getting the falten AT tires.

Could you provide a link for this please?

—>Read Wolverine12’s 18 page report on long term use. Over a million miles. But his use was extreme, 1200 km a day.

if you come to cabo lemme know! You live here?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
6 Posts
In reverse, we used to come down almost every year. Stayed by Medano Beach and walked everywhere. But did run up and down coast.One of our group surfed, but he belonged on the Bay side not the Pacific.
Last trip was a year ago. A friend rented us a week at their timeshare. It was a big step down.
The rear differential has something in it. Made the fluid look the color of lithium axle grease. AND seemed to be underfilled. Listed capacity is 0.8 quarts. That is about what drained out. But it required almost 1.2 quarts to fill up to fill plug. Directions are filluntil it runs out of fill plug hole. One quart was at least a half inch below.
Put 700 miles on it Thursday and ran like a sewing machine. Averaged 36 mpg. At 70 - 75 mph mostly.
Think Wolverine12 story is called “Long Term Test” or something. I could not find it with search. He put a million miles on a 2015. Did his own maintainance. Two engines and maybe four manual transmissions.
Sounds like car would run 12 hours a night. Used M1 EP and Fram Ultra filter. But every 12,000 miles. Got a million km from first engine before burning a valve. Cold starts are the hardest on engine wear. His car may never have cooled off.
I have read even thought the differentials and CVT come with Lifetime fill you need to service. That lifetime will be extended if you flush on a schedule.
Dumping the CVT replaces five quarts. Holds 12 - 13 quarts. Most stays in transmission. Just adds fresh additives and fluid. In your environment that CVT gets a workout.
If we get down again will try to connect. Need some tips. Had not been since before Covid and many of the restaurants we used to like had gone downhill or closed. Post pandemic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try to change the engine and cabin air filters at least twice as often as the oil and filter. Use OEM or Fram #12295 (?) that is exclusive available at Walmart here in the US.
For my air cabin filter I have a K&N filter from my old 2008 Highlander , and surprisingly it fits perfectly for the subaru Crosstrek! I was so pleasantly surprised))). So now I only have to remove it and wash it every now and then
I appreciate the tip on the engine airfilter. In Mexico we can’t always find the same variety that you do in the states.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we get down again will try to connect. Need some tips. Had not been since before Covid and many of the restaurants we used to like had gone downhill or closed. Post pandemic.
Sounds good , let me know. And yes, many things closed but Cabo is as busy as ever, lots of new stuff
only downside is its more expensive than ever but oh well, that’s the way it Goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts